Garmin questions

I think I broke mine by overtightening the screws doing it back up. Small crack in the cover, no longer waterproof and killed batteries quickly until eventually the moisture on the PCB caused a terminal failure.

Have been very careful not to overtighten any garmin hrm since, and :crossed_fingers: a couple of battery replacements later it is still going.

Also have a Wahoo for dual ant/ble, occasionally stays connected and drains the battery, but otherwise pretty solid. Although to be honest, not much different to the cheapest ant/ble amazon/decathlon can offer.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s not the case with mine but worth keeping in mind cheers. If this one fails I think I’m going to give the Polar a go. Garmin actually replaced mine twice under warranty and I’m not sure they’ll go for a third time.

1 Like

Mine just doesn’t seem to work properly anymore - I get HR spiking that’s supposed to be the watch issue with it.

I’ve had a CooSpo replacement strap which has survived two years of Zwift sweating with no issues at all, c. £14 on Amazon

1 Like

Maryka killed many tickr’s and also has so far not killed the coospo

I rode today with a 15 year old garmin strap though, so dunno what all the complaints are about.

+2 for CooSpoo :heart:

Yet another thing on my July purchase list then!

:roll_eyes:

I wonder if the optical HR upper arm jobbers are any good? Will the optical HR be any better than my dismal 735XT?

I’d also ask is the the new 255 optical HR going to much better than the 735XT?

1 Like

My N=1 of the Polar optical strap is that it’s much more reliable than my Garmin (235?)

2 Likes

I ordered a polar S10 pricey, but not a bad review to be found on it.

However the polar strap feeding my Garmin infrastructure feels wrong.

2 Likes

The face of my nearly 5 year old Garmin 735 must have hit something hard when I got knocked off my bike the other week because the glass looks like crazy paving now :open_mouth: .

My finger is hovering over a Fenix 6 for £339 from Amazon. Should I do it?

It looks like a lot of watch for the money, but I’m not sure how much of the functionality I’m actually going to use.

2 Likes

If the 735 does everything you want Garmin will do you a refurbed one for about £70.

1 Like

Hmm, I’ve penciled in Lanza 2024 for my IM come back. I bought the current watch for training for and racing Lanza in 2018 and the battery died 31km into the run :rage: . I met another guy on the run course who had the same watch and was cursing the fact that his had died at the same point in the race :roll_eyes: .

I’m not going to be any faster in 2024 than I was in 2018, so I’d really like something with a battery life long enough to get me to the finish this time :rofl:

7 Likes

Yeah. But. Shiny shiny.

That’s a good deal on the Fenix!

2 Likes

The new 255 is effectively the 7xx series replacement. Now does full tri-mode. Also, being new will be supported for software updates for longer than the fenix 6.

2 Likes

I really like the Fenix 5 I have. Main things the 6 has which mine doesnt and I want is Music. It also has a better battery,

Refurb one here for £255

https://uk.webuy.com/product-detail/?kk=a4c6295-1818c1d6b64-54800&id=753759232726C&utm_source=kelkoouk&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=kelkooclick&utm_term=Refurbished%3A%20Garmin%20Fenix%206%20Pro%20Smartwat

I have had a couple of refurbs and never had any more issues than I have had with brand new ones.

1 Like

Just looked that up. Looks like a decent watch and probably where I’ll go when this one dies. The Fenix, as nice as it is, is just too big for my tiny wrists!

2 Likes

I think the 255 comes in two different sizes, 255S being the smaller one I believe.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t realise that the 255 was a full multisport watch. I had an earlier version (220?) and it was just a running watch. It looks pretty good and is £40 cheaper.

The Fenix looks a bit more robust than the 255, but I’ve got tiny wrists so it’s a big chunk of watch on a small wrist.

1 Like