Helvellyn

Descending can be tougher than going up on the body, better to be safe with a recent injury.

I’ll have a look at the other post when I get in.

I’ve done my usual 2 week cram and 1 week taper! I managed a decent 80 mile ride last week taking in a few climbs including Park Rash. Tomorrow, I’m going for my first swim in a while, need to record a 1500 TT to see if my entry is accurate or not…

Not long to go but I’m trying to decide whether to buy some clip on bars for my bike. One thing is I won’t be able to mount any shifters to the bar ends :thinking:

1 Like

You really don’t need to change gear that much!
First but out of glenridding is a bit undulating, but I stayed in the middle of the block and it was fine.
Then it’s a climb, so you can change on the hoods.

Finally you reach the busy road (A66?) where it’s pedal to the metal, apart from one riser.

Then it’s the left turn onto the B road all the way to Ambleside, which is a nice road, with a few risers, but nothing where you’d suffer too much from going on the hoods to change gear.

Finally it’s the Struggle, where it’s baby gear immediately and hoods.
After that it’s the descent and flat road back to Glenridding.

2 Likes

Do you think we can change our swim times? After doing all my OW swims in a relatively shallow, toasty, disused quarry I was suffering with the temperature in Bala - deepest body of water in Wales - yesterday & my times were 10-15 secs/100mtrs slower.

Bit of a rude awakening.

1 Like

I was thinking…I managed 50m at Salford Quays when it was 12 degrees and DNFd an Oly at Rother Valley at a similar temperature…

…not sure how I’ll go here!

Thanks that’s good to know. Going to try and get the bars sorted.

@Doonhamer I think the last time we can change times is Monday

1 Like

If it helps with the swim, every time I’ve done Slateman it is so cold in Lyn Padarn that you can’t feel much at all after 200m of the swim. (so cold that I sliced my foot down to the bone on swim exit and didn’t know till 2km into the RUN after a 51km bike).

It is easy to stress but if you are prepared to lose the feeling in your hands it makes it easier. Think about forearm pull and forget completely about your fingers/hands.
Get in the same mindset about your feet too, they will just be hanging off the end of your legs :rofl:

It isn’t that bad if you are ready for it and know how to react.

Double/triple swimcap if you need to.

3 Likes

@Poet have you got neoprene boots, they might let you use them. At least one year the swim was reduced because of the cold, but was still about 1200M.

1 Like

Usually allowed boots and hats but no prize money if you do.

1 Like

Doubt I’ll be troubling the fast lads, will take a few more seconds in T1 but it might mean I can feel my feet.

1 Like

Have you all filled out and returned the word form?

2 Likes

First swim session for a while and I recorded 22 flat for a 1500. Just before lockdown I was around 20:30 :man_shrugging:

Thanks for the reminder, I’ve just sent mine in :+1:

When swimming in colder water I try to kick more than I normally would to try and keep the blood pumping. Normally I kick once per 2 strokes I think but add some flutter kicks in.

2 Likes

Eh, what’s this word form? Is it on they’re website or have we had an email?

Is it the BTF thing?

It was in an email titled “Helevllyn Triathlon 2020” (sic)

Health check Form
It is a BTF requirement that everyone attending completes this form and returns it to info AT trihard before September 1st please. It will only take a minute or two. If you really can’t do that, then bring it to registration, but this will hold the whole process up and keep people waiting longer.

2 Likes

I hope it’s like this next weekend :heart_eyes::crossed_fingers:t3:
Currently 18 degrees, sunny and a slight breeze at Bowness :ok_hand:t4::motor_boat:

Right I’m being a dunce.

How can I fill that form out with just an iPhone?

Open the document in Office365, edit it, stick in your details and BOOM

1 Like

Thanks mate :+1:t2:

Hoping I won’t find the lake too bad.
Internet is claiming 13.6 degrees for Portobello beach where I just swam a mile.

Was bloody fresh to start off but got used to it quite quickly.

Will definitely be getting in that lake pre race to acclimatise

1 Like