Helvellyn

@Rooster - whatever happened to Alex Lawton, does he still race?

Not sure why I’m asking you but I thought you may know.

He was tearing it up in the North West for a couple of years and up there with Standidge but I’ve not heard of him for a while?

It’s cold swimming there, it’s where the 70.3 was.

Probably won’t be much worse on Sunday.

1 Like

Ah swimming at Porty beach. That is one place where you want to keep an eye for floaters.

1 Like

Lol! Now you tell me

:grimacing:

Pleased to report no turds spotted

Just seen Phil Wilson is racing too, he should go well.

@Doonhamer is that ‘The Struggle’ goal for a planned recce, or mid race?! :wink:

Oh shit, is that visible to all :joy: ?

I’m just wanting to do enough to beat a mate’s time & I don’t intend doing it again.

2 Likes

Strava sees all! :eye:

Interestingly i clicked on the segment. It’s almost identical in profile to the Hay Tor one i did on Sunday, but the Struggle is a few hundred m shorter, for a 30 odd metres more elevation. Nothing to add there, just a random coincidence.

2 Likes

Didn’t see @Adam’s lad take his first steps…probably never happened :joy:

1 Like

He’s not approved me, so I can’t see it.
What is his target time?

Also, is Skipper really going to race it and not quarantine?
That’s a dubious decision :face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_monocle:

Think George Goodwin will do a ride. He done a short 19 at the national 10 on Sunday so is biking well.

1 Like

Skipper has an Elite Athlete Exemption.

2 Likes

Definitely happened put it on Instagram :rofl:

5 Likes

Brownlee update: apparently he is now racing Hamburg on Saturday and Helvellyn on Sunday!

6 Likes

Are you kidding?!?!?
That’s KER-AZY!!!

I was planning on jumping into the river tonight but can’t be arsed after a long day back at work. I might just have to put up with the cold on Sunday :cold_face:

1 Like

Yeah one swim in 15C on Friday is my only open water swim. Felt fine at 15C for 45 minutes but big difference if its 12C or cooler!
Anyone other tips for acclimation since I’m not going to get in before Sunday.

• cold showers
  • getting in on Sunday morning pre-race
  • other than getting in the water, would you generally try keep as warm a spossible on the morning, eg warm clothing as long as possible over the top of wetsuit to give core temp a buffer, or is a bigger temperature difference between you and the water more of a problem?
1 Like

Could you get to a Decathlon or The Endurance Store before race day?
Neoprene skull hat, booties and gloves?
(Are you allowed gloves?)

No prizes, but a safe swim exit.

I’m bricking myself!
Might be breaststroke for me :see_no_evil::rofl::sob:

1 Like

Separate thread for any advice on cold water.

What temp should we be expecting? Some memory is telling me @jeffb has said around 12C?

I think it’s often around 14c, but where there’s an inlet from the fells it’s dropped a lot less. It can’t be far off the minimum permitted temperature.

I often struggle with the cold and the thin wetsuit doesn’t help, I am going to try and get warm before, maybe a short jog or something, but it leaves my legs feeling really heavy on the bike despite going up the first climb.

I’m going to take my neoprene boots and will probably use them. Don’t think gloves are allowed though.

I also vaguely remember reading about putting warm water down your wetsuit but might have dreamt it.

1 Like