IM Cascais, Portugal 2021

Yep - good news about the LFTs.
My Covid paranoia reached new heights at the weekend when I was contacted by test and trace saying I’d been a close contact of someone who’d tested positive. Then, that same night my son was up all night with a temperature. Had a major panic feeling like I was in the crosshairs of a sniper. Felt sure I’d end up stuck at home farther than racing in the sunshine. Anyway, turns out my son had just eaten too much ice cream before bed and my PCR came back negative so unless I’m really unlucky I’ll be on the plane out tomorrow afternoon.
Great half marathon for you last weekend BTW.

4 Likes

Bib number 1169 for me.

Desperately hoping my replacement trisuit turns up in time or I’ll be racing in my shredded one from Cotswold 113.

3 Likes

Meh, get some tanga when you get there.

Any of you experienced travelling triathletes got any suggestions of where I could dump a bike box for a week so I don’t have to cart the thing around? I’ll be travelling pretty light bar the bike and box and could quite happily amble about on my bike with my ruck sack, rather than dragging the box about as I don’t plan on getting a hire car.

Are you not staying in one destination?

I’ve always assembled my bike once we’ve arrived at where we’re based. Tucked the bike box out of the way then dismantle the day before.

If you’re moving about I can see that being a bit of a chore, especially with no car.

When I did Cascais I ended up hiring an 8 seater Peugeot Boxer, dubbed ‘the love bus’ Wife hated it but it had tonnes of room and the kids loved it. Was v pricy though

You could dump it at the place I’m staying if you want. It’s fairly central from what I can gather-although I don’t get there till tomorrow afternoon. We’ll be there till the following Saturday so as long as you’ve collected it by then it should be fine.
Just Message me if you think that will work

1 Like

Oh no, I like an adventure! I’m travelling on my own so first few nights at a hostel in Lisbon Centre then airbnb in Cascais for race weekend and then dunno what after that!

@Mr-me That would be awesome! I’ll drop you message now.

Debut HIM for Johnny Brownlee at this one as well. :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Yeah saw Harry Palmer mention that in one of his videos

Anyone got some top tips for packing a bike in a bike case. Rear derailleur off. etc. No need to take a track pump surely? Travelling with a bike newb here! Or any other things to make sure I bring.

Typically I’d say:

Wheels,
Seat post/saddle,
Front cap of stem then position bars around fork (if your cables allow)
Unbolt rear derailleur,
Pedals,

I’d also take the chain off but if you don’t have a quick link that’s not ideal. I’d also try and squeeze my track pump in too but maybe @Mr-me will have one :wink:

It will depend on the case - the manufacturer will likely have a howto video on YouTube eg

I don’t take derailleur off (or chain), but have a few tricks: lots of pipe lagging around frame parts and derailluer, some bolts between forks/rear stays with a nut above and below. I have a bike box alan.

Done 6-7 trips with no issues.

I have a Lezyne mini track pump, its a bit awkward but usable and has a pressure reading - bonus is it’s small enough to fit completely in your white bag without incurring the ‘no track pump’ wrath…

1 Like

Similar to Adam. I’d always take the chain off as that makes things a lot easier, but only if you have a quick link.

I think the value of di2 is that you can just unplug bits. I take the rear mech off entirely, plus the riser stack, arm rests, and extensions etc. The only cables you’re then constrained by are the brakes. But that’s obviously very di2 specific.

I’d take a track pump, simply because I’d want to be able to go and do my own test ride before taking the bike to racking. Even getting it straight to racking on entirely deflated tyres would be a faff!

Yeah, I have one of those too. But I take both that and a full track pump! :joy:

Do you want to be the guy in transition on race day with the track pump that EVERYONE wants to borrow? :roll_eyes: :rofl:

3 Likes

Haha I am often thinking that I won’t bother with one as someone will have one to borrow.

While I remember, good luck @Mr-me and @Sowler hope you enjoy the race

1 Like

Best of luck both :facepunch:t2:

Good luck @Mr-me and @Sowler. Have fun and enjoy.

Yeah smash it fellas!