IM Copenhagen 2020/21/22/23

How’s it all going?

Trainings looked great on Strava - you happy with your build?

yeah feel good, no nerves, just excited. I know i won’t place anywhere so absolutely no pressure, which feels quite nice. Just turn up fit, execute my own plan and enjoy the day. I’m staying with Scott Whittlestone and i hope he wins 50-54 AG, hes got a very good chance. I think he’s still planning a 5 hr ride in st george this weekend! i’ll be painting my nails

7 Likes

Toying with possible late entry to this

any advice on accomadation etc

1 Like

I think we did an AirBnB last time for 3 of us (got a third floor apartment which was fun carrying my bike up after the race and then even more fun carrying it down the next day). Got another apartment this year for 6 of us but not sure exactly where it is :thinking: (I just accept where ever I am told we are staying), but it is close to a metro station (my only criteria) so it’s really easy to get there from the airport with bikebox and then get to the race and back after :+1: I’ve never been tempted to stay near the swim start as too far out of town and think you’d need to be lucky to get something very close to the finish. I cycled to rack bike which was ok and metro back. The race briefing/expo was at the swim start as well and I got an ok pasta meal then met wife and daughter after who had been in the hotel next door waiting and ate and had a drink there and my comment was “YOU SPENT HOW MUCH” (best feeding any supporters before you go there). The foodhall is great and I’m going to Tivoli this year as didn’t last time and regretted it. A walk around Freetown is an experience as well.

3 Likes

When I entered in 2020 I booked CABBIN City Hotel. IIRC I believe that @stenard might have stayed there too.

Due to COVID I never got to actually stay in the Hotel. However the location was just about perfect. Its basic but as I was travelling alone perfect for me. If you need the actual address let me know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s where I stayed in 2018. Was a good location as right next to the main train station, and walking distance to all the key race sites (apart from the swim/T1 where you can get the train from the station).

As said, pretty basic rooms, but was suitable for me and enough space to construct a bike in the room. I had a “twin” which comes as submarine-like bunk beds, but I wouldn’t have wanted to be sharing with anyone. My mum and her partner also stayed there, but think they paid for a double room. I never saw it, but from memory they thought it was fine.

1 Like

Eight weeks to go. Just taken the Lanza block off and put the less diner plate like Copenhagen one on, give it a go tomorrow hopefully.

6 Likes

Not good at all

Is the tour still there?

Edit: yes, obviously not good :confused:

1 Like

I was reading somewhere that the wettest month of the year in Copenhagen is July. Can that really be true?

absolute deluge towards the end of the run for me in 2017 (I didn’t care by then)

Think this is our flight number/time in 6 weeks

2 Likes

My first IM - getting nervous now…

My training had been going really smoothly and my 70.3 in Holland in June went well which was a nice confidence builder.

However, my last couple of long runs haven’t been great. The plan I’m following (Don Fink) had a 3 hour run in for Sunday just gone, and I’m still struggling to recover from it - calf and hip soreness. Just tried a run this evening and felt awful. Hopefully didn’t make a mistake doing that length run 3 weeks out…

Expect I’ll finish 12-13 hours unless disaster strikes. Sub-12 might be possible for me but everything would need to go very smoothly.

How’s everybody else feeling?

12 Likes

I’ve suffered from this in the past too. Mentioned it elsewhere, they absolutely do me in and take me ages to get over them.

You’re not going to gain much fitness from now so maybe just concentrate on some time on the bike. You’ve got those three hours in the bank which should be a confidence booster!

2 Likes

Hope you recover well and I’ll hopefully be seeing you en-route as that’s my ‘target’, just depends how bad the run goes (it will either be bad or really bad, which is normal for me). Pleased with my openwater swims over the last couple of weeks (it’s a nice swim here) and cycling ok but we won’t talk about the running. I am actually looking forward to it and we’ve booked our tickets for Tivoli Gardens, which I wished I’d gone to last time. The food hall was good so will be eating out there one evening (not saturday).

1 Like

Thanks @Adam - the plan has a 2 hour run for this coming Sunday - is that normal a couple of weeks out? Very tempted to shorten it.

Good luck with the last couple of weeks prep @JD-Scarabtri ! How many times have you done Copenhagen before? Any tips?

1 Like

The last 5 weeks haven’t been what I wanted, two weeks of work which meant little or no chance to get useful mileage in followed by two and a bit weeks of covid and recovery (could have been a lot worse). Not sure I’m 100% now but this close to the event means I’m stuck with where I am.

5 Likes

I mean if you’re feeling a bit ‘done in’ I’d shorten it. No sense flogging yourself so close to race day.

I’d say there’s quite a jump in the fatigue I’d experience from a 2 hour run vs 3 hours though.

Could just run it very easily - I’ve done a few runs recently that have been slower that 5:30 per km and have felt fine after. Last night for example, I did 17 kms at 5:40 pace and woke up today feeling absolutely fine.

3 Likes

Just in 2017 but had done one a year for 6 years when signed up for this one again pre-covid. Lost a lot of my fitness and gained 2 stone. Not lost all the weight but feel better about it than i did last year and glad i deferred. For me this year is about enjoying the day, hopefully not have a personal worst marathon and then look forward to next year with some topped up mojo.
The trains and metro are brilliant. Were getting one from the airport to apartment, no need for a taxi or transfer. They were free to competitors and i think supporters in race day, so hopefully same again. The metro on race day is full of everyone going to the race.
Swim is saltwater but sheltered so no waves. The bridges you swim under are full of supporters so you could try and organise anyone you go with to try and be at a certain spot. Could have a coast headwind x2 but the forcast isnt looking too bad so far. Nice roads for riding and bike catchers when you finish the ride. The run is quite scenic to help take your mind off it. Food was nice at the end but no showers which seems to be typical for IM. Ive never taken a track pump to transition as there are IM ones there which have always been fine.

1 Like

Bit late now for the previous run but maybe it was a touch fast or just all the accumulated fatigue.

I used to start easing down but still did up to 2 hours about 15 days out but not sure it helped really.

I’d include walk breaks 9/1 minutes or something which should help.

3 Likes