IM Frankfurt 2022

Hi funkster

Long time listener first time contributer to the forum :joy:

How much faster do you think the new bike course will be? All things being equal with weather?

I’m doing the race too this year and was assuming it would be potentially a max of 5 mins quicker than the 185k route.

Cheers mathew

4 Likes

No clue.

Not sure what they’ve changed.

I did a 4:57 on the old 180km and a 5:19 on the 185jm

1 Like

Yeh I did 5:19 too on the 185 km route in 2018, windy old day that one

Well I guess we will be the first to know!!

May have dodged a bullet it not being today.

Don’t you like yourself :flushed::joy:

3 Likes

In the traditional game of “will it be a non-wetsuit swim”

http://www.wsvlangen.de/?page_id=3309

2 Likes

Is that water temp of 23.9° :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

2 Likes

Best hope that storm passes.
Sunday looks quality weather for racing :crossed_fingers:t3:

It’s par for the course, sweating on whether the swim will be non-wetsuit! Goes for a lot of Continental IMs.

2 Likes

Frankfurt is my only non-wetsuit OW swim in a race. Most other venues when it’s been hot, they are big deep lakes like Austria, which take much longer to heat up. Either that or they fudge it. Frankfurt is basically a sand quarry, which heats-up much faster.

F
R
O

What will they do if it’s thunderstorms? Can’t really swim if there’s risk of lightening.

Swim start is 6:30, so guess we’ll see.

1 Like

At Barcelona one year they delayed the start by about an hour, the storm was well offshore by then. But, they had a bit more time to play with as the cutoff was 15 hours I think. But it was scheduled to start around 8am anyway

1 Like

That was the year I did.

Torrential rain at the start was “fun”

3 Likes

I think everyone was huddled in the transition tent but rain was still coming in and then the generator failed and we were in darkness :joy:

Was it 2016?

I remember about a year earlier when it tanked it down mid race, I had to stop on the bike for a minute or so because I literally couldn’t see further than a couple of metres.

I was seriously considering my life choices in T2 when I was wringing out my socks :joy:

2 Likes

Hi Guys, sorry not sure I am posting the correct way. I have just joined a few mins ago.

I was wondering who those who are going to Frankfurt are planning a backup for the bike. After seeing all the mess at Heathrow I am wondering if I wouldnt be better off driving. The other option is renting a bike but there are very few left and it has to be co nfirmed now and paid (495 euros).

I am quite seriously considering driving. Would anyone fancy sharing the ride? It is about 9 hours plus eurotunnel so say about 10 hours from London.

Any thoughts would be welcome

Thanks

Augustin

7 Likes

Although not Frankfurt I am driving to Dresden, partly because flying is a pain. Was going to get the ferry from Hull but probably won’t as I’m not confident whether it’ll run.

I drove to Frankfurt 6 years ago and other than hotel parking it wasn’t too bad

I always drive as although it’s a bit longer - 12 hours door to door from Ockendon - it is less hassle in the long run

I can’t offer you a seat in the van as Mum comes back with me on the Monday, but if you’re truly worried about your bike if you can get it to me by Thursday night, I could chuck it in the van.

9 Likes

When I went to frankfurt, we went by train, it was really quick and easy, I suppose starting in Utrecht might’ve had something to do with it…

2 Likes