Injury List- do any parts of you still work?

Yep, I ripped a big toenail off underwater once on some rocks surfing. Insane amount of pain and blood, I exited the water and sat on the beach and tried to hide my tears. (failed :wink: )

2 Likes

God bless you kind Sir.

5 Likes

Currently lying on the physio bench. After 40 minutes of work on IT bands and calves, currently lying with a lot of needles all over my legs.

Getting old / injured is crap.

7 Likes

Had that torture minus the needles last night :grimacing:

1 Like

after the follow up appointment with the orthopod to review the MRI scan and discuss surgery, I have had an appointment date for the arthroscopy - 13th April - which is either just after, or just before our move to Wales! The move takes precedence and no way am I driving 5hrs back for it after the move but fortunately I have been able to transfer my case to a Benenden Tust member hospital in Newport with a different surgeon.

clinical notes and MRI scan are being transferred over but I do need a consultation before a surgery date is set for sometime after the move so Iā€™m heading to Newport next week for this.

all bloody go!

6 Likes

Was throwing the ball for the dog in the small river. She loves jumping in.

Bank was slippy and I slipped. Didnt end uo in the drink but sprained my groin.

Hopefully shouldnt effect any training.

7 Likes

Two weeks of no impact stuff and huge amounts of ibuprofen and today I can walk up and down the stairs with my ankle in mild discomfort rather than pain.

Hoping another week off and I can do some light low impact strength and conditioning stuff, and an extra week before I try a very gentle jog. That will be 6 months to London so hopefully my base level of fitness is ok that I can basically start with running just a few hundred slow metres to protect this bloody thing.

If my work offered medical Iā€™d have tried to get a scan and physio but just canā€™t afford it. Itā€™s making me feel very old all these aches and pains!

7 Likes

Dunno where best to ask, but seemed appropriate in here.
Back in August an innocuous bit of knee pain kept me off running till late October.
A slow build up on the treadmill then transitioned to outside, but within a handful of runs by December I couldnā€™t run.

Fast forward to Feb, now having been through 3 different experts all who have failed to identify the root cause (or what is even wrong), I decided to just try and run again before paying for an MRI.

Initial pain was bad, but strangely each session seemed to loosen things up.
Just managed 30 mins, of which I would say only discomfort for 50%. No real pain.

Iā€™m very reluctant to go outside (even tho Iā€™d much rather run outside, I donā€™t have time for another failure if I realistically want to run at the Cotswolds smash fest).

So, anyone trained exclusively on treadmills and then ran outside for an event??
Any tips or things to avoid?

4 Likes

No experience at all, but wanted to wish you luck. Need to see you there for the festivities (pain train).

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be there for swim, bike, heckle if I canā€™t run.
Not sure mentally how long I can do on the treadmill tho, esp as it warms up.

2 Likes

If you build it up steadily it might not be an issue other than boredom, Iā€™d probably try and get to around an hour and hope you can wing it on the day, maybe do some 5-10 efforts to break up the boredom.

I vaguely remember seeing something in the past that reps with the gradient at something ridiculous like 8% even at a really slow speed were good for simulating an intense sense without the impact?

Plenty of people train inside in cold countries for things like marathons.

4 Likes

Strangely enough for last years Cotswold this is exactly what I had to do to avoid injury. Not sure if I have any specific tips except to say I mixed up the distance and pace (but didnā€™t do efforts). I think that I did around 8 weeks of it starting from a low point of about 15/20 mins of running. By the end I was up to 15-16km of running.
The positives for me are that for some reason I am much less likely to get injured / can manage an existing injury. As I implied above I had an injury which running on the treadmill allowed me to manage. The negatives are that it is extremely boring (music is essential) and I get so hot!!
In the end my first outdoor run was the race itself. I got a 1:40, which not great, I would absolutely taken at the point when I started on the treadmill.
Good luck :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep - Iā€™d take that right now. In all honesty I imagine Iā€™d be closer to 2 hours (which was arguably more IM pace - well at least the first half of an IM :rofl:).

My only worry is last time I felt the impact on treadmill was a bit repetitive; so I do think I need to mix it up. Keen to add some gradient as soon as I get a bit more confidence.

Iā€™m fortunate Iā€™ve got a shelf at eye level with a monitor - tho I donā€™t find zwift overly engaging (compared to cycling). But at least thereā€™s more data to look at. Do fancy running up the alp (just to be annoying to cyclists).

How did you find the race day run @Sparky ? No injury flare ups at all? How did pace compare to treadmill sessions?
Treadmill always feels much much harder (faster) to me.

Hi, let me get back to you shortly. I need to check something out and I have to do a little work first :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I have just looked back at the race. I do remember the first mile being run very very gingerly. I was very concerned that I might tweak something. However as the run progressed I did get quicker as I ā€˜loosened upā€™ and I suppose got my confidence. On the treadmill I was trying to run the long sessions at 8m mile pace (5m Km pace). In the end in the race overall I was a little quicker than that but only in the last 5 miles or so.
The thing with a treadmill is that you are forced to run in a consistent way (you can also make very small adjustments to how your foot lands) and I find that it forces me to run much slower at the start than I would if I was running outdoors.
Both I think are good when you are trying to manage a tweak. I am pretty sure that if I had run outside I would have injured myself.

On reflection the one thing that I might have done differently would have been to do a 5k run outside super slow say on the Thursday before the race as a kind of confidence booster. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

First time round the consistent foot strike was what made me want to go back outside - as I felt I was starting to make things worse and needed the variety.
Pace is way off at the minute - but I just need time on feet. So think Iā€™ll keep one run steady and extend the time on the other. Need to make sure I have at least 2 days between runs - worried just 1 rest day between wasnt enough to remain injury free).

Iā€™d be gutted if that pre-race run flared it up. Iā€™ll see how I get on over next few weeks as they will definitely be inside.

1 Like

So the doctor didnā€™t even mention the word but Iā€™m thinking I have a hernia, abdominal. Not painful just uncomfortable. As itā€™s two weeks before I get any further diagnosis and the only recommendation is to reduce my running, Iā€™m wondering if anyone has trained with one, whatā€™s good, whatā€™s bad, etc?

Swimming is usually good for every thing, but Iā€™m not sure crunches and weighted squats would strengthen the abdominal muscles or make them tear apart. Cycling probably nothing negative.

I had a hernia (inguinal) a couple of years ago. For me any lengthy periods on my feet caused it to pop out and become uncomfortable.

I must admit the advice I got was rather confusingā€¦ probably caused by exercise/heavy lifting (we were doing a lot of work on the house at the time, so possibly heavy lifting related to that)ā€¦ oh but after youā€™ve had the opp, gently increase exercise and lifting to strengthen the muscles. I guess you just have to do it in moderation?!

1 Like

I done a stupid thing. Was cutting a bagel and sliced my finger pretty deep. Took me a while to stop it bleeding. Wondered for a minute if I needed an A&E trip.

Went to the first aid kit and of course the kids have used stuff and not told anyone its run out.

Got some closure strips from Boots.

Must have damaged the nerves as the end of the finger is tingly.

6 Likes

So thatā€™s 4 and a half weeks of no running or impact stuff and am walking around absolutely fine, nothing on the stairs and not needing and ibuprofen. Did a wee 100m jog when I came off the bike today and still feeling it on impact unfortunately although nothing like before (and the pain seemed to actually be in a slightly different place weirdly).

Going to see how we are in 10 days, but thinking I might be better just writing April off and trying to start running again at start of May. That would be 8 weeks out and 5 months to London. Doable, right?..

4 Likes