Injury List- do any parts of you still work?

Hopefully the physio can work some magic for you number2 :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

Thanks all.

@FatPom (and a few others) mentioned on another thread about the odd sadness that comes with ā€˜retiring.ā€™

Iā€™m not there yet (late 30ā€™s), but have a lot of miles on the clock.

It could be a lot worse, and I know that Iā€™m preaching to the choir, but its becoming more difficult to keep my body going.

Had 11 calf tears (both sides) in the last 4 years. Iā€™ve just been managing IT Band issues (but a lot of residual pain) over the last year and just canā€™t seem to get back to being fresh and injury free.

Perhaps itā€™s time to pull the plug, and admit that exercise is now about health instead of performance.

Pity party over.

10 Likes

Hmmm my achilles have started to tingle. I think i may have been ignoring the signs the last couple of weeks.

Booked physio for next Tues, but was planning on some serious stuff the next 2 weeks. Wondering whether i should knock running on the head for the next week at least. They were fine when i was running at lunch, but now iā€™ve stopped they feel a bit tight. Will massage the calves again and stretch them tonight.

Been having nighttime cramps in my hammies as well. Hoping thatā€™s not related. Really donā€™t want my body to start to break down now as i dial things up, as iā€™m starting to feel decent.

Itā€™s a bloody tightrope this exercise malarkey.

1 Like

Iā€™ve found a couple of strips of K tape on each of mine have helped enormously in the past months, maybe the physio will suggest it, if they do Iā€™d say go for it. Not all tapes are the same though, I found cheap doesnā€™t work as well as not so cheap.

4 Likes

Cool, cheers for that. :+1:t3:

1 Like

Donā€™t give up! Well, at least get to your 50ā€™s!

2 Likes

How are you applying that @Symes ? Ankle pic welcomed :slight_smile:

Havenā€™t got any on at the moment unfortunately.

I have one strip 190mm long which attaches on the underside of my heel as an anchor point and stetched out it goes up the calf centred on the achilies.

A shorter strip around 110mm then sits laterally just above the area on the achilies where the pain is centred.

2 Likes

Do you do much strength work @APM? I did my final project on ITB issues in runners when doing my osteopathy degree. It didnā€™t please those marking it that physical therapy isnā€™t the most effective way to deal with though :rofl:

ETA: Strengthening is often the best way to deal with calf tears & achilles issues IME.

6 Likes

A usual training week looks like 3/4 runs, 1/2 spin classes, 1 gym and 1 swim.

For the gym, itā€™s limited to the equipment in my garage (which isnā€™t bad, in all fairness).

I usually do a 15-20 minute row, then glute activation and strength. For the remaining time any of calf raises, barbell/kettlebell squats, then upper body and token core work.

The logic is that my glutes are poor, so this work will help alleviate the rest which I think carries logic.

Is there anything Iā€™m missing / youā€™d recommend?

What are the glute activation and strengthening exercises you are doing? Are these done just once a week?

Are rhe calf raises with weights?

I usually do donkey kicks, occasionally clams. For strength, bridges (body weight or with a barbell).

I usually do calf raises without weight. Mainly, because I donā€™t have the balance to do it with a barbell / kettlebell.

And yes, once a week!

1 Like

OK great, if you want I will put together what I would suggest. Do you have any cable or bands in your home setup?

1 Like

Thanks @pacha, that would be great!

I donā€™t have either, unfortunately. Just a few kettlebells, bar bells and a medicine ball. Nothing heavy, but few weight variants (for instance barbells range from 5-25kg).

1 Like

When i actually bothered to do any S&C the bands were really helpful. Mine were like a tenner from Amazon or something. You do a lot of this stuff, so i think would be a really good investment. And theyā€™re only tiny, so donā€™t take up any room. :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the material type bands, theyā€™re quite wide and comfortable. I think about Ā£15 for three strengths.

Iā€™ve found some S&C really makes things worse for me, mostly loaded one legged stuff on the left side. Itā€™s all a bit trial and error though. I incorporate a lot more 2 leg calf raises on the stairs during my day and that seems to help.

1 Like

Blister on a blister on a blister which has now come off. Goes really deep and hurts to run

6 Likes

Boke. Sounds sore!

Physio seems to be doing trick on my shin, although after 3 weeks of plyometrics heā€™s now got me hopping and it hurts on landing so Im not doing the full sets heā€™s tasked me with yet. Have been able to do a few steady runs without issue though. Looks like I could make London after all with a cut down 16 week programme (thinking one tempo and one long slow run a week, and 2-3 other sessions either swimming or cycle to keep fitness generally?).

Like others Iā€™m really surprised by how much Iā€™m finding some K tape to help. Although maybe is partly psychological :smile:

4 Likes

Im getting a bit fed up with endless niggles that wont shift. Ive had loads of physio and a steriod injection in my shoulder. Its much better but still not right. Going back to the physio . I dont want another steriod injection because there is a tendon tear risk and ill have to back of the weights massively.

Ive got planatar facititis in my right foot, been doing the stretches Pacha recommend and also calf stretching but no real improvement.

My right bicep tendon hurts and feels weak.

The teardrop head of my right quad hurts when squatting. Although the knee braces make a massive improvement.

Going to phone Axa and see if I can be referred again to the physio of multiple issues.

6 Likes

Was reading some interesting articles earlier. All my troubles above are down to tendinitis, which is all about inflamation. Shoulder was also bursitis but again inflamation.

Lots of studies link being very overweight with increased risk of tendinitis and tendon tear. But its not just because of the increased strain from the weight, but it also increases release of pro inflammatory things. Its called ā€œsick fatā€.

I really need to put the pizza and wine down and sort my weight.

6 Likes