Injury List- do any parts of you still work?

Hope it all goes well @fatbuddha :blush:

1 Like

still trying to work out why I have a hospital wristband on each wrist - maybe in case they chop an arm off?? #baffled

1 Like

Just check to see they havenā€™t marked your arm up with a Sharpie :wink:

best of luck :+1:

4 Likes

Or your pecs! :joy:

Does it say DD on your chest?

Finally out the theatre and recovering until they let me home. All seemed to go OK

13 Likes

not a trotter shot but a knee shot for a change. 2 keyholes only and knee feels OK with some discomfort to be expected but no worse than pre-op.

just need not to be stupid and get a good recovery on it :crossed_fingers:

18 Likes

Ok so i am 75% sure i have a mild soleus strain.

Having read this: Rehabilitation of soleus muscle injuries in distance runners it seems to fit. In particular

• Kinetic chain dysfunctions ā€“ poor hip extension flexibility and associated poor gluteus maximus recruitment. This is a common problem in triathletes or runners that sit for long periods for work.

tick, tick, tick and tick!!!

@pacha usual RICE protocol, then a bit of the old calf dips/steps to strengthen?

What do you guys reckon? Stay off it from a running perspective now iā€™m 10 days out. Iā€™ll clearly not be firing on all cylinders at Cotswold, but iā€™m not going to suddenly lose all my run fitness, if i keep cycling where i can.

Any other thoughts or theories welcome.

Im no expert but this close I doubt you are going to see any significant dip in run fitness if you stop all together. I remember James Cracknell ran the MdS having hardly run for 6 weeks leading up to it due to hip injury.

keep you general aerobic fitness up on the bike and rest the calf as much as you can

1 Like

Gettin 'em in early :joy:

5 Likes

I would say not. I think ice is of use in the first 48 hours but only hurts with localised inflammation, if there is any. I would not run yet. I would do static holds on a step. Setup as if youā€™re going to do a heel drop but with the foot horizontal and just hold it there for 6-10s several times. If that is pain free then increase the drop angle of the heel but not under load. Once you have lowered it unloaded then load it statically again. (Does that make sense?). If it goes well then start with slow, gentle heel drops.

Am I right in thinking this came on after a TT bike ride?

5 Likes

Well it did today, yes as I did a TT bike then brick. But it was sore a few days ago when I hadnā€™t been riding my bike. Think I ran Monday, was tight and sore. Massaged it Tues. Felt better Wed then worse today.

:+1:t3:

1 Like

OK so probably at least a few days old, wouldnā€™t bother with ice. Loading it gently is the best course.

I acutely tore a hip flexor so did get the injury pea bag out the freezer and used it that evening. But loaded the following day, was quite sore but manageable and was back running in about 2 wks. You will be able to run a bit in a few days I suspect. Long term some strengthening would be a good idea. Soleus is possibly the most common muscle injured in endurance running? (off top of my head, no data and no time to google it right now)

2 Likes

@gingerbongo, Iā€™ve had 8-10 Soleus strains in my life. Ballache.

It obviously depends on the grade, but if itā€™s mild you may get away with it. Grade 1 suggests no immediate stop to activity, and you can walk without a limp. Grade 2 is an immediate stop, and walk with a limp for a few days.

The problem, with soleus strains, is that you arenā€™t too sure where you are with recovery. You feel good to go, until you try and run.

Crack on with swimming, cycling, rowing and calf raises. Bit of foam rolling is good too.

Donā€™t run. Try not to walk. Obviously donā€™t stretch.

If you can, get to a physio.

2 Likes

Cheers dude. I reckon I had a grade 1 and now itā€™s somewhere between 1 and 2. Deffo stopped me in my tracks. Couldnā€™t have run through it, even if I tried.

It feels a tad better already now, after sitting on my arse most of the day. Donā€™t think Iā€™m limping now, but I definitely feel it when I walk, particularly in stairs.

Hoping ten days will be enough. No runs before race day. Time will tell I guess!

Iā€™ve suffered a mot of tightness in soleus for years. Weak glutes and hips and not doing my S&C are key contributors. Think I may have to stop blagging it and accept Iā€™m nearly 40.

Cheers

2 Likes

Massaging also helps me as well, the whole calf. But I suspect mine is often tightness rather than a pull.

Edit: not sure massaging the quad will help FFS, I meant the calf, it has been another long day!

1 Like

@gingerbongo, I hear you! Weā€™re similar ages, and sounds like we have similar structural problems when it comes to glutes and hips!

Iā€™ve recovered from grade 1ā€™s in a few days, and been back at it.

Currently on 6.5 weeks without running with a Grade 2, with another couple of weeks in front of me.

Hammer the swimming, cycling and S&C work though!

3 Likes

Yes but no. Theyā€™re tight because theyā€™re weak (relatively). They struggle with the load youā€™re putting through them and that is your body letting you know. They need direct strengthening, sure do your pelvis stabilisers/ā€˜coreā€™ but you really need to strengthen your soleus too.

Getting plenty of walking while youā€™re not running should help too. For the Cotswold race you will be fine and the fitness wonā€™t be noticeably affected IMO.

4 Likes

:+1:t3:

Kind of linked to @pacha ā€™s post above. Can anyone recommend an online strength and core programme, targeting the lower back / hamstrings / glutes? Iā€™m getting very weak there, as Iā€™m getting older and not doing anything. I just want to follow a set of exercises and see how I get on. Was thinking of any YouTube channels etc.

Best thing for glutes and hammies is squatting and deadlifts. 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps. Heavy weights. Squats hit your core if you do them correct. You need to brace your core has you lift

For direct lower back either medicine ball raises or the Superman exercise. Lie on your front and raise your arms and legs at the same time.

I usually finish off with a core exercise called 4 for the core. Its 1 min plank, 1 right side plank, 1 min left side plank and then back to 1 min normal plank. Increase the amount of time each time.

It might not be what you want as it includes upper body but the 5x5 programme is really easy to follow and needs minimal equipment. Includes the main compound exercises and progressive overload to consistently get stronger. When you start out with an empty bar the sessions only take 25 mins, a few months in and the weight is heavy with the extra rest and warm up sets its about 50 mins.

2 Likes