Injury List- do any parts of you still work?

Same. And it is more than a minor miracle as I’ve had some seriously close shaves with disaster over the years!

1 Like

Don’t, it’s massively inconvenient and occasionally quite painful

4 Likes

I’ve had my nose broken or at least squashed badly twice whilst a teen. On reflection the youth club I used to go to was a proper rough shit hole. Kids were huffing Tipex on the roof. Now I’ve a wonky nose and a nostril that’s mostly blocked. This is of course why I’m not a pro. I’ve always said that it I ever get it broken again then I’m going to get a proper nose job done on BUPA. But it’s been years since any chavvy scrote has twatted me in the face and long may that persist :pray:

3 Likes

I’ve broken 9 fingers. What do I win?

4 Likes

Poppadum fingers!

3 Likes

Break both thumbs too, and that’ll be the complete hill-country set of 11 :+1: :smiley:

11 Likes

Right I have my fair share of injuries and niggles (achilles, knee, hips) which linger in some form for apparently ever.
I can manage most of these and still train ok - if with some limitation.

Currently I seem to be running with glass legs tho (particuarly around ankles and lower legs). The pain when I start a run is really quite bad, feeling is a bit like shin splints (so bone pain). After a few km it eases off and lets the pain from my injuries take over instead.
Any idea what this initial discomfort could be or how I could try and treat it. Ankles don’t feel tight. More cushioned shoes help - but even in the bouncy Reeboks its still almost unbearable.

1 Like

A program I watched a few years ago basically said the injury doesn’t go away or ‘warm up’ after a couple of K, it’s the brain that switches off the pain notification!

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve no doubt my brain switches its focus to the other areas of pain.
I just dont understand why my ankles feel SO fragile.

Have you tried one of those wobble boards to build up strength?

I suspect my years of football and fell running means my ankles are fairly strong but not very flexible for swimming.

3 Likes

Depends where it is, but generally pain that warms up after initial exercise and then is fine during main session, +/- then worse the next day especially getting out of bed is quite characteristic of tendon pain.

2 Likes

I’m familiar with tendon stuff. Achilles has been wrecked for almost a decade.
It’s difficult to describe how it’s different.
It’s similar in that it restricts how I run, But there’s no loosening up like with the tendon. It’s almost an impact pain but for all the ankle.
Going to try the treadmill again, hoping the extra absorption takes away more load going thru the leg.

1 Like

I’ve got some swelling around my eye from swimming too I think… bleeding nuisance

1 Like

Physio was telling me treadmill helps only in that the movement of the machine aids the sweeping action of the foot. The way it drives the foot back so aids the take off, I think he was saying. So it may be ok for running on a treadmill but won’t necessarily help fix the issue long term.

Fck knows - but if you’re experiencing pain that’s probably a point at which to stop and get assessed properly

The tendon assessment sounds familiar - my Achilles is stiff in the morning on and off still. Thankfully settles down fairly quickly now as opposed to just being shit, useless and painful when it was just shit useless and painful

They don’t fix themselves though

Although I’m thinking I need to get off the asphalt more often. Accumulative damage possibly from years of road running

The only thing I know with a certainty- I’ll be back at the physio by next year :laughing:

1 Like

It’s very frustrating isn’t it! I’m still battling with the bottom of my feet being made of glass. Trouble is it doesn’t happen all the time.

curious to your thoughts on this. I was in shower and thought this was dirt but it’s a bruise. It happened on Wednesday but I only noticed it today. I know how it happened. I had my phone in my Salomon 5 set vest and it’s big for the shoulder zip pocket, so i had it in a stuff pocket.

Every now and then I could feel my wrist hitting the corner of the phone but not hard and not often but that’s where it’s from.
I’ve noticed as I age, I bruise a hell of a lot easier and I seem to get cut easier. Very often I can see blood under the skin on my arms. It’s like my skin is tissue paper these days?

My wife is similar, she had a massive bruise on her leg the other day and she said she only knocked it mildly on a table. Looked like she had been punched by Mike Tyson

1 Like

I saw a different physio finally. Much happier with this one.

They said that a steroid injection might be needed as it sounds like the other one has worn off but leave that for now and see how it responds to some exercises. She said there is quite a lot of weakness in my rotator cuffs so need to work on strengthening them.

Dont have to stop weight lifting which is good, but she said knock overhead press on the head for now.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure you’re not supposed to get a knock on the head from an overhead press?!

1 Like

Depends how good your grip strength is

1 Like