Injury List- do any parts of you still work?

Ftfy

:joy: :joy:

5 Likes

My sons (22) has a bit of an issue with his legs and itā€™s so vague I donā€™t know where to start.
He plays 6 aside football twice a week and the occasional 11 aside game but whenever he starts running his lower legs seem to seize up almost instantly.
He went to the gym with me in the week and we did all the cardio machines for 5 mins but when he got on the treadmill he lasted about 30 seconds before it happened again.
I asked him to describe it and he said it starts in his shins, then it feel like it goes round to his achilles and into his calves. Itā€™s like a stiffness but also painful and he was hobbling back to the car afterwards.
Any ideas what it might be or even where to start looking as weā€™re a bit clueless at the moment. Doctors will be next step but he struggles to explain it and not theyā€™re not always that interested in this kind of thing.
Thanks for any suggestions.
ETA - Iā€™ve been reading up on shin splints and it does seem to suggest they can start straight away, but Iā€™ve never had them (touch wood) so not really very well up on how they feel or if the pain spreads to a wider area.

1 Like

Much much rarer, but chronic exertional compartment syndrome is a possibility Iā€™d want to ask him more about to exclude.

4 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll read up on that.

Ive got an odd issue, wonder if anyone has any insights. Whenever I play cricket or train, almost instantly I get pain in the front of my quads. Now, I know warming up is not something that is being done. We get to training and go straight into it, in games like yesterday I sat around for an hour, went in, then suddenly a run is called and Im off and my legs just go.

Its not an injury as I would call it, because after a couple of days its ok, also I think from looking at pictures its the rectus fermorous muscle, right down the front of the thigh. Everything I find on google talks about pain at either end, i.e. the tendon, but this is right in the middle on the meat. I hurts to put power through the quads, but mostly its really sore prodding the area. If I try and massage it, it feels really crunchy. I tried doing a couch stretch earlier and it was incredibly tight and took me a while to get into position.

I need to do more general exercise and get back into strength training but anyone know what this could be and how to deal with it?

Oh :poop: Devon residents urged to boil water after parasite found - BBC News

3 Likes

my folks are living on their boat in Dartmouth marina, same water supply. Everyone is drinking bottled stuff

1 Like

How on earth did you link that post from so long ago?! :joy:

Iā€™d best check if it affects us :grimacing:

1 Like

I searched for crypto as we both got it following an event. At least @APM was confirmed. I just felt wiped out for nearly 2 months!

Hope it doesnā€™t get you all.

3 Likes

Shocking all round. I genuinely felt awful.

1 Like

More good progress on the injury front. It has been 5 weeks and 1 day.

• havenā€™t needed painkillers this week
  • can get dressed standing on either leg
  • rode to work 3 times, feeling more normal each time
  • can ride short distances out of the saddle
  • managed 400m kick this morning
  • in the gym, 5 minutes on ski machine at 250W; weights hip adductors 10 reps at 5kg, hip abductors 10 reps at 10kg.

Full weight bearing is still not quite right, so not tried running yet, but am hopeful of trying some treadmill incline walking this week as a step back towards running.

13 Likes

Iā€™d say you definitely have nothing to lose by warming up first. Some of those cricket moves can be quite sudden, particularly bowling.

At WADAC, all the groups warm up, all ages, all disciplines and not just for a couple of minutes.

2 Likes

Yeah I think I need to accept that at my age I cant go from 0 to 100 in an instant. At nets this week I went through a proper warm up and stretch and it was largely ok till I batted and then used a whole new bunch of muscles and ached for days after.

My Aussie mate said to me tonight, what he says always sounds funnier in an Aussie accent, but he said you playing tomorrow, and I said yeah, and he said ā€œfair dinkum, but well maybe fucking warm up first ehā€.

5 Likes

Be more Merv :grin:

2 Likes

Advice sought.

Had multiple calf strains over the years, but my current position is a bit unusual.

I think that the injury has healed. Ran a few 5ks over the last two weeks (including some hilly routes), canā€™t feel the calf at all.

However, a few hours after I finish, the calf is ā€œsensitiveā€. It doesnā€™t hurt, just feels inflamed.

The foam roller helps, and it doesnā€™t feel like Iā€™m retesting the old injury. However something isnā€™t quite rightā€¦.

Has anyone had anything similar?

Not sure what that might be but I would look to strengthen the calves. Heel drops doing both straight leg and with a bent knee.

1 Like

Got my insoles fitted today at the podiatrist. Had no idea this is the position my feet are actually supposed to be in. Which explains a lot really about all the issues Iā€™ve had over the past few yearsā€¦

5 Likes

Were they on the end of your arms previously? :laughing:

7 Likes

Iā€™d think of it more as the orthotics are putting you in a (temporary) different position to allow the painful structure to calm down whilst you increase itā€™s capacity for the future.

Have they suggested itā€™s peroneal tendinopathy, rather than plantar fasciopathy (given where you described it here)

But hopefully your feet arenā€™t so freakish that you need them forever. We donā€™t need pics though.

4 Likes

6 weeks post taking a sand hammer to the buttock

Iā€™d like to say things had further improved this week, but actually I think I have created a bit of a plateau by overdoing it in the gym. Got up to 5 minutes fast walking at 7kmh at 15% gradient. Unfortunately when I get off the treadmill Iā€™m back to limping for the next 24 hours.

Everything non weight bearing is ok though - cycling , swimming are pretty ok now. Managed 5x100m kick yesterday as part of a longer session, in around 2.00 - 2.10 which is pretty much back to normal.

just need to be patient with running I guess :neutral_face:

9 Likes