Ironman Frankfurt 2019

Yes, just did a few sessions in a Lido in a Wetsuit recently… Still I managed to swim 2k at a slow race pace yesterday and so I will get round in about 1 hour 30… It is not supposed to be easy is it…

2 Likes

I’m probably gonna be about 1:08-1:10 due to my stupidly sinky legs

2 Likes

Memories of 2010, my first ever IM at Frankfurt. The only non wetsuit OW swim I’d ever done before race day was a little dip when I went to rack my bike after the ‘non wetsuit’ decision hammer had dropped!

I got by, 1hr 34 mins.

Sleepless night before mind…

1 Like

There all sub hour swimmers …!
In budgies…

Well, how many non-wetsuit swims here now in the last 10 years? At least 3 if you include this year:

??

Was bored at work

BBS has a 4:51 bike split for me :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Same or worse for the run? :upside_down_face: :crazy_face:

Remember that getting to the finish line upright & avoiding the medical tent on these occasions is challenge enough. You must have enough Frankfurt Finisher shirts by now; is it too late to transfer to Hambooorg? :joy: I will definitely be packing my swimskin just in case.

2016 was non-wetsuit for the pro’s but (just about) legal for the rest of us, this led to a fairly big DNF rate among the pro’s with hypothermia as the air temp was about 16, windy and rained.

Jeff

I tend to find the southern German events struggle to find a happy medium where weather is concerned. I think Frankfurt was miserable a few years before that too (maybe 2011 or 12). Every other time it’s seemingly 30+. It’s that Continental inland weather init.

Buyer beware.

If you want to see my gradual descent into hell itself on Sunday

Bib 2331

6 Likes

Bon chance!

Good luck all! Stay cool :woozy_face::cold_face:

I see Skipper at the press briefings, but he hasn’t been running lately due to an injury (based on Strava feed)…hope he has a good showing of his talents.

Continental Europe is either cold or hot, probably get less than 10 days a year when it is in the high teens / low 20’s

Just while building my bike, I created a puddle of sweat. It seems to be humid as hell. And everyone has told me it is a cool day today and smiles. It is supposed to be 10 degrees hotter on Sunday. I think it will be an interesting spectacle for those drinking beer and eating ice cream and lollies by the river when the people at the back are slogging it round.

1 Like

Funkster, say hello. I am near you. Bib number 2347

I’ll be racking as soon as possible on Saturday (screw waiting until 3pm)

Blue Triad, disc wheel :slight_smile:

They will be well prepared on race day. If you need extra sunscreen, it was available in the med tents dotted along the river iirc. Big hand-pump bottles, that you had to apply yourself I think. Same in T2. You won’t have people actively offering it to you if it’s like 2015.

There were also literally piles of coarse salt at the aid stations, as well as bins full of ice. One of the ‘best’ shaded area is the park where you do a turnaround & collect your wristbands. There was a coffee/food stall made out of the hull of a boat on the south bank; just after that is where I laid down for the indeterminable period.

Just saying. It’ll have to be a record to beat the 2015 event :wink:

1 Like

Looking at the worst case on the German site, could be 43. Insane. Unfortunately there are 50kph gusts forecast too :confused:

giphy

3 Likes