IRONMAN Hamburg - Rumble in the M45 Jungle

Sub 10 dreamer, I will go for it, fall short and come up with some crappy excuses

I have reluctantly decided not to do the Etap du Tour the previous weekend, no matter how I spin it, will destroy my performance in Hamburg

1 Like

Much better to have a go than wonder why you didn’t afterwards, I got between 4-17 minutes about 5 times, just try to avoid getting carried away on the day racing people.

Jeff

Hold my pint…

1 Like

Shame, but probably the right call if you really want to execute over long course. The etape is looking like a brutal day out. I’m apparently looking at a 3hr effort up the final climb alone :nauseated_face:

Right, I guess I should be giving this thread some due diligence from now on. The 113 thread is the leader right now, with 348 posts. Surely we can reel that in?

All aboard who’s coming aboard…next stop TriTalk’s Throw-down on the Elbe

Jorgan (Ben Kingsley does Tri)
jeffb (forged in the NE …from girders)
Matt (cycling is like making love to a beautiful woman)
tuckngo (Slowtwitch hussy)
Bespoke (the Enigma)
Stivrunning (group elder, probably a gangland enforcer)

After this week, I make it 4 weeks training, then a 2 week taper?

1 Like

Hmm, not sure about the girders.

I have at least booked some accommodation although I’m off to Dresden the day after for a few days.

Easy week for me, thought I was coming down with a cold, might be a combination of the crap weather and hard couple of weeks.

Is now the time to start using the TT bike?

Jeff

Probably a question worth asking on IMJ though…"Ironman Hamburg, road or TT bike?"

1 Like

Ha, I’d use the TT bike but I can’t get the mudguards to fit on it!

Yes, could go either way for the bike at Hamburg, road\TT, might be worth asking the IMJ massive :slight_smile:

Also ask if you need a compact for the ascent of the bridge; you’ve heard it’s quite steep.

ETA - crosswinds on the bridge, should you use training wheels on your Speed Concept.

Not done a rolling start before, but after consulting a friend, he says I should go in the Sub-60 group; and my thought was to seed myself toward the rear of this group. The net effect of this should be a watered-down version of the past, waiting for the strong MAMIL biker trains to reel me in; then wait until the opportunity to get into a pace line when the right group materialises.

What’s everyone else’s plan? Surely there should be a TT wave start :upside_down_face:

Surely singe speed / fixie - more aero, save weight, no need for brakes - just think how aero the front end would be, no shifters, no brakes, no cables. Think I will put it to IMJ

1 Like

Haha, is it that bad that people would take you seriously?

So you think I might need a compact for those hills? I’ll get all the questions together to ask IMJ, actually didn’t someone post about Hamburg on it a few days ago?

I think everyone usually seeds themselves about 5 minutes faster in a rolling swim, so the back end of that group should be fine, you might get some legs to sit behind.

Jeff

You’d have people quoting rulebooks at him. It’s that bad

You need a 34/34 lowest gear on a 1x11 set up road bike as TT bikes are slower and must use Tailwind or you’ll have GI issues. Oh and be careful of the riptides

I have no idea Jeff, the place is a shower so I don’t visit. I have left twice. I re-joined last summer before Bolton purely to watch the car crash!

Present and correct.

I see from some stalking (well, reading the Froome thread) you are from near Tetbury. I was that way for a wedding a few weeks ago and did a long ride (calne, devizes, malborough etc) - you have zero excuse, I was blown away by the quality of the riding and how good it is for training. :slight_smile:

Now my way even a female pro fell off due to the quality of the roads a couple of days ago!
(I shouldn’t joke, the crash was horrible)

Training ticking along, 10.30 probably a good goal on present form. If the bike isn’t tooooo long.:rage:

Your link to the water temperature. It’s 19 right now. More bothered about the algae than the possibility of non wetsuit!

http://www.wassertemperatur.org/alster/

1 Like

I try to limit my riding south of the M4; it’s a bit uncouth, especially Wiltshire. :wink:

Finding the time for long rides is more the issue for me.