Ironman Lanzarote 2019

Interesting how much it can change. We go every March for a tri camp. Last year it was so bad one day we turned back, This year there was hardly any wind at all (comparatively speaking of course).

You never know what you are going to get on the day. All part of the fun.

I went for a ride out through the Fire Mountains this afternoon. FECK ME IT WAS WINDY😳. I had to work hard to hit 25km/h on the flat section from the visitor centre to Manche Blanca! It was hard work riding back down the hill to CLS.

1 Like

Flying out tomorrow. Done nowhere near the amount of training to put in a decent time so expecting a long, tough day. As long as I finish I don’t mind.

Now the really important issue - what time are we meeting at Ruta 66 for the traditional TriTalk post-race drinks on Sunday? Can I suggest 6pm as I reckon this old boy will need an early night.

4 Likes

Go Slacko!

Good luck pal :smiley:

1 Like

@Slacko 's in the house!

Best of luck mate. Mrs S doing it too?

Cheers mate. No, Mrs S has developed common sense since the TT1.0 days. She still does the odd triathlon but keeps to Sprints.

2 Likes

Given your assessment, are you sure you’ll be finished by then? :upside_down_face:

I may just squeak in under the 35 hours! :smiley:

1 Like

Is Ruta 66 the place to be for the post race beverage as well? I am expecting a Tritalk banner, complimentary finger food and massages as well… :laughing:

2 Likes

No TT trophy? :thinking:

Good luck everyone!

Such an epic event, enjoy the whole experience whatever the weather does. Hopefully not the last one so I can return at some point :slight_smile:

Ah right, Saturday event. That figures!

1 Like

Rita 66 is the traditional TT post event party venue. Not sure how much of a party we can muster this time with the meagre numbers!

How many of you are there? We have 5 going to Hamburg. It took a lot of encouragement from me on here mind you :yum:

It looks like they are using “226ers” nutrition again this year, so you should have a choice of water, coke or 226ers at each aid station on the bike.

Note that if it’s like last year, the coke and energy drink are in bike bottles, but the water is in mineral water bottles with sports caps. The water bottles should fit in a standard bottle cage, but the plastic is very soft, so I ended up squirting water all over the place when I tried to put one in the cage and gave up after the first aid station. Obviously not an issue if you are just using water to refill an aero bottle and then chucking the empty.

The wind has calmed down a bit today and the locals reckon it’ll be windier than normal on Saturday but not as crazy as it was last weekend😉

1 Like

Unless I’m mistaken there is no “energy drink” there is coke and 226ERS Hydrazero drinks which are basically electrolytes.

Thanks for the tips on the bottles and wind.

Welcome to TT2.0 @Slacko

1 Like

Grass cut, euros exchanged, taxi to airport booked, son back from uni, daughter later this evening, tomorrow pack up bike and Thursday fly out!

Race becoming secondary to family holiday Saturday will be a sea swim, sportif ride and shuffle around the seafront!

1 Like

We’re flying home tomorrow, so for one last ride I rode most of the IM course. I rode from CLS upto Tinajo and Manche Blanca and did the northern end of the course. I skipped the Famara out-and-back (I’ve ridden those roads plenty of times and it’s always a block headwind down the hill and a long drag back) and rode back down the middle of the island and did the El Golfo and Fire Mountains section, before riding back to CLS. It was 155km in total.

If it’s like that on Saturday it’ll be a challenging day. Anything heading vaguely north was into a big headwind.

Good luck to anyone racing at the weekend👍

1 Like

Ten minutes until the cab arrives.

…what have I forgotten?

Fuck me registestion is slow

3 Likes