Ironman Lanzarote 2019

Registestion?
Put autocorrect on :wink:

But is it warmer than England? :rofl:

:sweat_smile:

My face is red already. Spent about an hour outside.

The wind is definitely up. And it’s hot. I am here to suffer, evidently.

Water is amazing. In playa chica anyway. Haven’t found playa grande yet :joy:

Surf is up at Club La Santa. :grimacing:

The bag is a bit weird. Velcro fold over.

1 Like

That kind of insight is more suited to IMJ!
Now I see you’re racing Lanza, it makes a lot more sense why you’d need a fully functioning bike computer (from the other thread). I thought you were just off somewhere for a bit of a holiday and wanted something to record what you’d been up to!

Good luck with the race

@joex What’s your number Joe? Good luck!

1 Like

F*ck me it’s windy. Took the bike out yesterday for a short ride and reckon I was pushing well over 200w to go 10kph up a long 4% incline into the wind. 0w to go 70kph back though. The constant wind is bad enough but the gusts are brutal. Going to be an “interesting” day and I’m now seriously doubting my ability to complete this with my current level of fitness. My number is 1542 if you fancy a laugh.

4 Likes

Yeah. Can you upload videos here?

18:30 and it’s 30°C according to the pharmacy in PdC.

2 Likes
  1. Look for me near midnight.
1 Like

One of the reasons I like to register for Ironmans on the Thursday for a Sunday event. Standing around in a sweltering queue for an hour is sub optimal.

1 Like

Have a good race TinPot

1 Like

Yep, hope everyone has a good race! :sunglasses:

1 Like

2 Likes

Wind should die down for race day according to the Swim Lanzarote chap…all relative though so still gusting to 39kph NNE!

Highly recommended getting down to the beach at 8 tomorrow to get some tips from him.

1 Like

Yeah, we were in Lanzarote last summer; I decided doing an Ironman there was way down the list. Just running into the wind was a ballache… like a volcanic version of the Falklands.

1 Like

Best of British to all taking part on Saturday. Not doing it myself this year, have 5 IM Lanzarote finishes and 1 DNF (pretty much a DNS TBH), as everyone knows the wind can (will be) brutal, but it’s a great event in my book, hope it stays on the IM circuit for a few more years yet.

Andy G

1 Like

Best wishes to everyone racing in Lanza tomorrow! Have an epic day😎

Good to see a few tritalkers doing the race, I do hope you’re in TT kit so you can be spotted. The pirates will be in Ruta 66 on Saturday. And Sunday so come and have a beer and some friendly banter.

I’m stupidly back here to do this again after doing it in 2013. Really looking forward to topping up my suntan tomorrow.

3 Likes

Well that was a fun day out
First time on the new bike course, can I have old one back please?
Plenty of swim biff, run was as expected hot and windy. 3rd time here, so I just need to stop bleating about it you know the score
Let’s have a look at next years dates …honey can I have your credit card?

7 Likes

Blimey, that medal!

5 Likes

Phew! That was a long day.

Lots went well, a few things went wrong…namely, the bike leg…8h56 :scream: I’d tested the BBS file in the new Garmin the day before; it picked up the course, displayed the target power for the first 3,5mins, and changed for the second 4.5mins…unfortunately on race day it did that too and then just displayed “Lz-w” for the rest of the ride :sweat_smile:. At 60km I’d taken 3hrs, so something was seriously wrong, should’ve been 2h17. I corrected some brake rub. Then I got a flat with only 20km to go, and snapped the valve extender while attaching the co2 canister!

I sat at the roadside and wrote the day off, But the course mechanics saved me, cost me 30mins but kept me in the game.

It’s an amazing bike course in places, I’ll analyse it later. So good descending on a tri bike :+1:

So many good things though;

• Swim PB by 4mins, 1h09
    (despite delays getting in, all the biff and stop/starting)
  • Got hydration right enough
    (to run/walk the first 1h36, recovered after 15mins dizziness/spots to run walk the rest.)
  • Best IM run
    ( although admittedly that’s not saying much )
  • Finishing!
    (After writing it off in the bike and run legs)
6 Likes