Ironman World Champs Nice Sept 10th

Yes, which is where I’d suggest 300TSS is not the level for a good run. It’s probably way too high for most. Although a hilly bike, like Nice, and thus a higher NP/VI will distort things a bit.

My best 70.3 run was Nice in 2019, and I relatively (for me) hammered the bike on the way up. But having 30km of descent to recover is fundamentally different from being on the pedals constantly on a flat course from T1 to T2

1 Like

that’s interesting and explains a lot, so we are looking at ~170 TSS for his ride, which is much closer comparison to how you would feel after each individual sport.

3 Likes

This thread is excellent it has split into two conversations, one about TSS and racing stuff knowledgeable sensible debate and the other about portaloos, where people were weeing in Nice and the smell of sewage in Tenby!

12 Likes

All great facts you need to know when deciding where and how to race :joy:

I wretched and nearly barfed everywhere when meeting a portaloo stench at The Vitruvian one year … I reckon the whole queue heard the wretching :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

rTSS and sTSS for sure. TSS for bike has its uses, and admittedly flaws, it seems good for IM bike goals for example.

Was just discussing the time/IF Ironman chart with Wilf yesterday, it’s a good perhaps rough guide. Not gospel.

Could kJ be a better guide though?

I love the smell of chlorine in the morning Vs. I love the smell of urine in the morning.

1 Like

One is a choice :slightly_smiling_face:

How would that work? TSS is (in theory) a relative metric. kJ is an absolute figure.

A bigger person with a higher FTP is going to produce more kJ / burn more kCals than a smaller person with a lower FTP. Yet under TSS theory, if both rode at the same relative intensity for the same duration, they’d have the same TSS

Quite right.

I’m thinking I can put a chart together for this. Give me a minute.

I know you’ve said this before, but how would that work? My TSS doesn’t keep accumulating when I freewheel/descend.

30 TSS is a one hour easy ride

1 Like

Yes it does (your NP is reduced by less than the contribution from the extra time)? I don’t agree that 30 TSS is a one hour easy ride, I’d say that was 40-50 TSS, unless you really are not actually riding for much of it, and that in running terms would be the equivalent to a walk, how much run TSS do you get from a walk? I personally think if it is possible that 60 minutes of actual riding is possible to realistically only 30 TSS, your FTP is either very high (ie you’re a pro) or over-stated - there’s a sort of minimum intensity it’s possible to ride at and for most, it’s higher than that.

It’s also not a fixed 30 TSS from doing nothing, but it is just a general inflated number (of the order of 30 TSS /hour at IM durations and intensities I’d say) which doesn’t matter much if you’re only comparing to other rides of a similar type, it’s when you’re comparing to TSS calculated without the same just existing bias like the bike/run here I think it’s less helpful.

Easy Zwift with a friend on Monday

1hr walk, run tss 2

2 Likes

People might argue that 125 HR is harder than the walk - but the 2 TSS from an hour is something you could never do on a bike.

1 Like

125 avg is harder than a walk as the walk was 98 avg (some of the distance is missing as lost signal in a supermarket for 10mins)

But 30tss is an easy hour on the bike, as shown, but not the equivalent of a walk as you suggested. It is also continuous pedaling as its zwift

I don’t agree 125 easy, when you can walk for an hour at 100 - and cycling has lower minimum demands on HR as you are seated.

But as I said on the inflation it’s about the time - 1 hour is less inflated than 2 hours is less inflated… 'cos the way time is rewarded more than the NP is reduced for the duration.

Well it was easy as I was chatting throughout over the phone, it was below the first infraction easily. Z1 if you’d like. But also if 125 for an hour isnt easy, then that means your point that an “easy bike is 50TSS” is even further out is it not?

You’ve lost me

1 Like

50TSS in an hour is riding at 71% of FTP.
Thats not particularly “hard”, but that’s around my IM race pace sort of intensity. Which is well above super easy, or anything like the comfort of walking.

I sometimes don’t get much above 50TSS when doing an hour trainer ride. When you factor in the warm up, cool down, and maybe some recoveries, NP at 70% of FTP across the hour might often be what I end up with. And an hour of constant pedaling is far from “easy”, even at. lower intensity.

Eg (47TSS in an hour with aveHR of nearly 150bpm)

So I agree, I’m not sure what Jim is entirely saying here. He is correct correcting Chris though. TSS does accumulate on descents, although it depends on the relative duration of a ride and the intensity up to that point. As Jim points out, it’s all to do with the relationship of the reduction in NP to the increase in duration. On a short, hard interval session, TSS can actually fall during the cool down as NP falls pretty fast.

1 Like

which is why having discrete data for each ‘set’ of the session can be useful…

but if you are that engaged in the numbers, then*…

*Insert own flippant response…

2 Likes

Lots of shit being thrown at Vino on social media about his AG win in Nice

2 Likes

Jalabert won M55 as well I think?

1 Like