Manchester Marathon moved

How do you carry gels in a race? fuel belt or just in hand?
I’ve got a race number belt which has maybe 3 gel loops on but I don’t have a standalone fuel belt

I usually stuff them down my compression shorts and maybe one in my hand. Also have shot bloks, need sort this before tomorrow, I know I have gels

One in the rear phone pocket of my shorts and another in a general side pocket. I don’t plan on taking all that I need for the race and will pick them up on course but just want a few extra in case I miss a stop or drop it etc.

I have two old leg compression socks that I roll up an use as wrist bands. Inside the roll I stick a few pound notes and then stick three SIS gels down each wristband. I prefer this to things round my waste.

Like so

Done it this way for years. Handy for car/ house keys too rather than rattling about in pockets etc

3 Likes

My AfterShokz headphones came with a belt pouch, which is what I used at London to carry gels. I’ve always been pretty minimalist and was very wary of belts, etc., but having tried it I barely notice it and regularly put my phone in it now. I do use a couple of safety pins to stop the adjustable straps moving, as they were working themselves loose.

I also had one in a wristband, which was inspired by a comment from @toby_Hole_in_the_leg beforehand.

At my first marathon (Blackpool 2009) there was a guy on the start line with gels sellotaped to his arms :joy:

6 Likes

:hushed:

Last minute panic … ‘ what can I use, what can I use? Ahh :bulb:

2 Likes

I’ll be up in Manchester this weekend to support, if anyone wants to share their race day outfit/race number/expected times - I’ll be sure to shout as loud as my lungs can manage.

Expecting to have to use text to speech during my Monday morning meeting, as I’ll have lost my voice :joy:

EDIT: Apart from those who have already shared them above, noted these!

3 Likes

I have a number belt that has a small expanding pocket with a zip. I can get 4 SIS gels in there, just.

I’ve used a mini bumbag fir the last couple of marathons I’ve run.

Was chatting to a guy on the way to the start at London - he was wearing a visor with 3 gels stuffed under the strap on the back of his head. Said they stay put and really easy to pull out. I always wear a visor so will try that method out. Thought it could be useful for IM too

3 Likes

FTFY

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl:

Was going to right that. Changed my mind

I really need to consider a taper now, 2 hard & long Zwift races in 4 days, 40 minutes steady and 30 minutes running.

Feet up time

3 Likes

I’ll have a black vest with yellow stripe and the club name on it, NYMAC

Probably have my green base layer on as well, and look like I need hospital treatment :flushed:

3 Likes

Hah! You’re as bad as me. Don’t some people taper over 2 weeks?
Not as bad as my friend though, he smashed a parkrun day before London.

1 Like

I’ve not trained enough to justify a real taper, no regular long runs.

I don’t think I lose much and the fact I’m not aiming for sub 3 or anything takes a bit of pressure off.

2 Likes

I’ll be wearing bright orange shorts, orange Alphas and a light blue vest

2 Likes

I’ll be in bright coral/orange shorts with similar colour next% and grey/black leopard print vest (same pattern as the adidas elite team stuff I think)

1 Like

tram strike is back on for race weekend :see_no_evil::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Great look that, Manchester :roll_eyes:

#NorthernPowerhouse
#LevellingUp

What time are you lot off? Are you all red bibs?
I’m thinking of heading to Altrincham or the Frank Sidebottom Statue at Timperley.
Timings at both coincide with lunch :see_no_evil:

Anyone else to add?
JGav - 8300 (targeting 3.30)
Sowler - 2578 (Sub 3:00)
jeffb - 6975 (3:15-3:20)

I’m red. Think Sowler said white which I assume is sub 3 speed

1 Like