More DIY & Gardening numptiness

Yeah makes my pillar drill look like a fisher price toy.

1 Like

You should start a rumour about how you lost your leg in a freak lathe accident. New joiners might fall for it.

I’ve a couple of those milled cassettes offa that other forum. They’re keeping my ancient Zipps on the road :muscle:

3 Likes

Painting the kitchen-lounge this weekend. Adam Cream by Craig & Rose. The combination of kitchen fumes, condensation, and wood burner smoke has taken its toll on the walls. I’m repainting in the same colour, exact same paint, and look at the difference. 8 years since it was last painted. One quick wall coat down… ceiling next.

10 Likes

Just done the 1st proper coat on the bathroom. Dulux Rock Salt.

Apparently the darkest white/lightest grey … Yeah it’s totally white. Proper white! :joy:

Annoyingly used about 2/3 of a pot. So not gonna get a whole 2nd coat out of it, but don’t want to spend another £25 on a small amount. :thinking:

7 Likes

You’ve got kids, SOP procedure to have a back up tin. That’s why my whole house is the same colour. :joy:

2 Likes

Geraniums enjoying the hot stuff at the mo

14 Likes

Similarly, the garden is coming into bloom. Peonies have finished now, which is a shame as they’re short lived but beautiful.

Also started phase 1 of operation keep the bloody chickens to their own areas so they don’t nick all the strawberries and constantly come in the house to eat the cat food! Temporary placement of the split hazel fence. Need to get some stakes now to make it more permanent and work out the best way to get access in and out.

19 Likes

:wink:

6 Likes

Oohh we’re getting there. Toilet, vanity unit, sink, mirror and rad going in tomorrow.

That shower screen was bloody heavy. Our stairs are too narrow and tight (round a corner) to get it up. So we had to pass it through the bedroom window. It fit by a couple of mm each side. I had to stand up on the pergola, one guy in the room and one underneath to get it in. Could’ve gone very wrong! :man_facepalming:t3:

16 Likes

Looks fancy :nail_care:t2:

1 Like

Hard to be any worse than the orange/peach combo that has been there since we moved in! :joy:

4 Likes

Fark! That’s what we want, to match the Crittall doors downstairs.

Looks bloody ace :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

How it started

How it’s going

11 Likes

That bottom one’s a bit like a spot-the-ball competition

3 Likes

More like spot the cat shit. I need the grass to grow so one of mine stops using it as his personal litter tray.

3 Likes

Our dog keeps having a shit in the bit Ive dug over waiting to turf. Not easy to spot.

1 Like

DIY – Part 1

I’d bought a portable air conditioning unit in 2020 when it was getting too hot to WFH in my loft.

By last Summer I was getting fed up of how hard it was to hold the extractor hose in place.
(As the various angles between the window and the end piece just didn’t line up.)

So, I decided to do something about it and ‘Plan A’ looked like this.

Plan B was an improvement and tackled sealing the top and bottom gaps as well.

Which gave me a rough cardboard template as a starter for ten.

Unfortunately, life and stuff got in the way and this was left until a few weeks ago.

When I converted the template made of bits taped together into single pieces.

Which were then transferred to an alloy sheet I had left over from my car build.
(This is industrial extractor fan material, think Bruce Willis crawling through in Die Hard films.)

After some cutting and hammering into shape, I had these.

The overlapping corners were clamped & rivetted together, before any rough edges were tidied up.

I filed down & sanded the metal edges before adding some tape to protect the window.

Which, of course, meant the gap I’d left for the hose was no longer quite big enough. :man_facepalming:

So, this was the first fitting.

Before I got a pair of pliers to bend the metal a little at the edges to improve the fit all round.

It is still not perfect by any means, but better than nothing.

15 Likes

DIY – Part 2

What was supposed to be a simple pruning task turned into a bit of a ‘mare.

In a game of garden shed dominos, one thing hit another and so on.

Before I knew it a pot of fence paint fell and exploded everywhere.

Everything in the photo below had to be pulled out and cleaned up.

By which point it was starting to spit rain and I was beginning to have a sense of humour failure.

Thankfully, there was just enough time to do the pruning job I was planning in the first place.

While the rain came down outside, I sewed a patch over the major hole in my working shorts.

That should hold at least until my current presentable shorts get relegated to my working pile.

DIY – Next Door

Regular readers might remember that my old neighbour’s ‘garden’ was a car park with weeds. :man_facepalming:

Then last Summer I provided a HUGE amount of free labour to help my two neighbours.

This was part of the full set of new fences I replaced on our side.

I then repaired the other neighbour’s side as best I could.

One year on & our new neighbour (who moved in before Christmas) has been very busy. :sunglasses:
(And the next door down has finally replaced their old fence panels too.)

So, our view should keep getting better from now on. :pray:

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

16 Likes

Bought a cheapo new Samsung TV and hung it on the wall with a £17 Amazon bracket. Despite using expensive Fischer plugs I rate one of the two fixings only a 6/10. It seems to be holding and it didn’t fall off overnight. If it was an expensive TV I think I’d buy a far more robust wall mount. I hate mounting stuff on plasterboard. No chance to target a joist here either.

Oh and I had to ream some plastic out of one of the VESA holes in the back of the TV as it was preventing me from getting the bolt in. Drilling the back of your new TV is quite fraught.

(Carpet is knackered and is shortly getting replaced. Don’t judge me.)

5 Likes

Next doors garden has transformed! They still need some trees and 50% less pavers IMHO.

3 Likes