More DIY & Gardening numptiness

Anyone on here actually have one of those pizza ovens?

Do you use it or is it just a massive gimmick?

I only ask as my wife has some points on a work based rewards sign and is pushing for a ‘free’ pizza oven. I’m angling for a sound bar and bass speaker for the tv as that’ll get significantly more use imo

We do tend to eat pizza as a family on Fridays but my argument is we already have a n oven to cook them!

1 Like

Literally the most middle aged thing ever… I just fitted the watering system

So far it has sprung about 5 gushers in the first hour, got a couple of impromptu showers, not sure I dare leave in in when we go away

Right, off to buy some slippers and book a saga cruise :see_no_evil:l

7 Likes

We were having this discussion yesterday. Our gas barbie is ready for the tip. I want to get am Ooni, she’s not fussed on pizza. But I’m not that fussed on barbies. They’re too much faff for little gain.

My mate got one (Ooni pizza oven) a couple of months ago and he’s always using it.

So i think it really depends on you!

Yes I have an ooni karu. I haven’t used it yet. Its multi fuel so you can use woos for traditional pizza or gas for convenience withba gas burner.

You can make proper Neoplitain pizzas at a cost of less than a quid a pizza, compared to 12 quid from a takeaway

You can get cheap ovens like ones that go ontop of a BBQ but they are shit. You need one that can get to 500c.

1 Like

We have an ooni- makes great pizza - used about 3 times this year so far

1 Like

Reality is all cooking outside is just a hassle, especially when you have a good kitchen ten feet away.

Used it three times. Haven’t used it in two years, but it was nice when we did. Even cheap pizzas tasted much better.

There is also zero chance of mold consuming the entire unit every year, unlike a bbq.

Talking of which - I have a Miele oven, the boost setting heats the oven, but the normal oven setting doesn’t anymore. Fan comes on but no heat.

So the heating element is working. What is it likely is broken then? :thinking:

Whatever you use to switch between the two modes?

but the important thing is that it does not heat the house up, which is the reason to do it, not convinced it’s actually any more hassle either if it’s gas…

1 Like

Heating is a good point, cleaning up the gas bbq is the main hassle imo.

This is why we’ve never bothered here. We come from a country that knows how to live outdoors, why would I try to replicate that and just compromise it over here?

Makes no sense to me.

Might it have two elements and it is just the main one that has gone. Usually the elements are pretty accessible so can you check it in operation or remove it and see if it has blown ?

1 Like

Isn’t that something you do once a year?

2 Likes

Mine turned into a ball of mold pretty quickly, so had to remember to clean it every time by hand.

One benefit of non-gas ones I suppose.

I tried the “burn clean” a few times but kept forgetting it was on and using up all the gas over night :man_facepalming:t2:

Actually, you guys are making me want to do it now the oven is on the blink. Maybe get out the flamethrower and pressure washer later…:pizza::fire::fire_extinguisher::fire_engine:

Do you need to pull the oven out of the unit to get to them?

Yeah it’s an Ooni oven my wife is keen for, I think they’re the ‘brand’ to get aren’t they?!

I’m sure we will use it to start off with, certainly with this current weather. I’m sure the novelty will wear off quite quickly though.

How long to they take to get up to temperature? Is it a case of filling it with wood/coals and ten minutes later it’s good to go?

Ooni are the better of the cheaper models. Some ovens are iver a grand.

Gas ones are more convenient and get up to temp quicker. Otherwise yeah load the box with wiod and firelighters and in about 10-15 mins it should be good to go.

One its up to temp the pizzas take about a min to cook

1 Like

I’m sure I’ve changed one (or two) in the past without taking the oven out. There might be a cover which you might need a star drive (I got a set from screwfix/toolstation for bike and they come in handy for other things every now and then). I’ve taken my oven out to change a fan and there was only 4 screws fixing it to the cabinet. A workmate is handy to put it on in case your cable isn’t too long. Just with you saying there is a boost, which mine doesn’t have, was thinking that there might be a second element ?

I’ve looked in the past at building my own pizza oven - but it seems a lot of faff for something that might not get a huge amount of use, and it needs a big space. upside is that you can get really good wood fire blast heat and cook a pizza in a couple of mins. still thinking about it as a project

2 Likes

That was my original plan. But like most of my projects I spent ages researching and planning and never actually did it.

If you can get reclaimed fire bricks cheap you can make a decent in that way. Some people use an exercise ball as a mold and then a special concrete mix.