Name a design classic that has affected you

It’s never been everyone’s cup of tea, even in the bike community, but I’ve loved these from the first time I saw one.
I remember being out with my dad on his Honda 200 Benley (very dull slow bike) when 4 or 5 big sports bikes blasted past us like we were standing still. I couldn’t tell you what the others were but this stood out even at the speed.

I’ve owned 3 over the years, 1 standard and the other 2 modified within an inch of their life with more modern engines, running gear etc. but never changing the basic look.

1 Like

this might be a bit odd, but this range of shelves and cupboards from Vitsoe is something every home should have - we have a fair bit. designed in 1959 by Dieter Rams, it’s a classic design range of versatile mid-20thC furniture. is still being made to the orginal design in the UK. bloody love it!

Vitsoe

4 Likes

4 Likes

I have actually considered buying a Gen 1 with a known broken engine - with a massive discount obvs.

Then sending for an engine rebuild and suspension refresh at Autofarm, That way I get a bit more piece of mind and a basically fresh car.

It would have to be the right spec car at a 10K discount however. Seems daft but I have seen them come up like this.

along the same vein…

Caused me to end up in a career in IT…

3 Likes

Yep

He was in the same place, 10 k engine rebuild at nine master Warrington, my sons brother works there.

They said it was worth 10-11 k as it was, WBAC gave him 13… ish?

Low miles drop top, body work was amazing for an older car.

My Cayman is holding it’s price, great car but I hardly use it.

1 Like

Yeah!!!

More like this please.

Any Eames chair owners?
Vitra coffee tables?
PH Artichoke lampshades?

Or, did anybody conceive a child in a Mini Cooper, or even a red phone box?
That’d be a proper design classic affecting your life :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::smirk:

Any London Eye proposals?
Or gazing at the stars under the Angel of the North?

Or the more mundane stories of Routemaster buses and London Black cabs getting you home after seeing your mistress, etc…

3 Likes

As a kid I was fascinated with the SR-71, these are my favourite books on the blackbird.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sr-71-Blackbird-Stories-Tales-https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Book-SR-71-Illustrated-Breakthrough/dp/0760348499 Legends/dp/0760311420

1 Like

The XJS is now starting to look very Classic. I wouldn’t have said that 10 years ago…but that’s how it works!

If I had the money and more importantly, the space, I’d be looking at scoring an mid 00s coupe of some kind right now.

1 Like

not Eames - looked at them many times, but not convinced it’s what we want - but do have a Robin Day chair that he designed for Habitat

2 Likes

Very nice indeed!!! :+1:t3:

We were looking at the 675 chairs for the dining room when we finally get round to replacing the current stuff.

Again on chairs, my wife has just up-cycled 4 of these, and wishes she’d taken all 6! Paging @Poet

2 Likes

Does up cycled mean painted?

8 Likes

675 chairs are very nice - and very expensive!

I have to say that Habitat under Conran have produced some excellent long lasting designs and products when they were in their prime. we have some units (Tribeca I think) on the living room, and our every day stainless steel pots and pans came from there about 40 years ago!

Caymans confuse me, I have test driven a couple, early 987 S manual and a later 981 S PDK.

They have the flat six noise and arguably drive a little better that an equivalent year 911, I could get a lot newer one for my budget too.

But, they suffer the same engine issues, and, well, it doesn’t say 911 on the back.

3 Likes

Yes, it’s basically the 944/968 of it’s era.

1 Like

987 s pdk.

11 years old in a few months, 37 k on the clock.

I’ve test drove a few “ super cars “ and there better, there just not the additional 15-20k they wanted plus mine better.

Gen 2 … so … touch wood no engine issues.

Yep they drive better than the equivalent 911.

Slightly less power, slightly more grip.

Re map helped.

I do hope so, 944 values have gone through the roof in the last few years

1 Like

I had a 968cs in the early 2000s, I sold it for 15K to fund my first wedding…

That was the going rate back then. I bought a wedding and an Alfa spyder with the proceeds.

Might of well have set fire to the cash.

2 Likes