Nike Zoom Fly/Vaporfly 4 and NEXT% - The Thread

Just to add a competing view, I hate them. They caused some achilles aggravation somehow, and I’m still struggling with it well over 6 months on, having never had issues before. No idea why.

Only pair of Nikes I’ve 100% disliked. Likely very personal though. For that reason I’d definitely recommend the suggestion of getting direct from Nike so you can try them out and send them back if they don’t work for you

1 Like

I use Tempo Next% as one of my training shoes, and really like them. I even did my recent 100k Backyard Ultra in them, I tried one lap with a pair of Vaporfly 4%, but they didn’t have enough support for the trails, roots and loose stuff.

They are noticeably slower than the Alpha Fly’s, but have really nice cushionning and plenty of support. The sole has plenty of grip and is pretty decent for off road work. My only mild criticism is that the bottom of the sole is quite hard, it is a bit noisy on tarmac, and in the wet / ice grip on tarmac is poor

1 Like

After returning the size 10 Streakfly I nabbed from Nike (which I knew would almost certainly be too small, but were all that were available), I treated myself to a pair of 10.5 via Sportsshoes.com using a 15% code from The best for less – exclusive discounts from our fantastic partners — Walk 1000 Miles (I didn’t even have to give my details).

Used them last night at the track and they were very nice, and my toes (& toenails) are all happy.

Seen a few follow up reviews on YouTube after the initial hype and it seems there are few complaints about their robustness, seems the uppers tear pretty easily.

4 Likes

New alpha released. Sounds like could be even heavier :roll_eyes:

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/nik21433/nike-air-zoom-alphafly-next%-2-proto-running-shoes-~-su22/?utm_campaign=930900_racing&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=June%202022%20Email&utm_content=nike_hero&dm_i=6SI6,JYAC,39962R,2FZ2W,1

I don’t think the SQUEAKING they make could be any heavier on my ears :joy:

Also - have anyone else’s “collapsed” on the inside near the foot arch, meaning they now rub like eff on the instep?
I got an ickle blister last time I used them and haven’t used them since.

My old pair, that I still use for training, is gradually disintegrating. Compared with my race day shoe, the instep is definately significantly depressed, however, doesn’t seem to cause me any blister, but does cause me to over pronate more. I used them yesterday for my 36km run, and they are still comfy

I only have baby alphas and Vaporflys. Got 1000km out of the former before I replaced them. The Vapors which are my race shoes have less than 200km on them.

@Poet Surely the squeaking helps drown out the birds?

2 Likes

I’ve got Kendrick Lamar to drown out the birds for me :+1:t3:

Turn Mr Lamar up to 11 to drown out the squeaks. That’s my advice.

1 Like

Are the ZOOMX VAPORFLY NEXT% 2 RUNNING SHOES - HO21 magic shoes?

Getting near my birthday so may add a magic pair to the arsenal.

Amazon Day is mid July too I think.

Super shoes on Sale at Nike on the website today. I might pick up another pair of Tempos to add to the stock.

1 Like

I’m lost on all the variations still.

Alphaflys > VaporFly > Tempo…?

Edit:
Just watched three different comparison videos and not one of them even mentions the notion that one is faster than the other, or faster than any other shoe. I mean, the only reason we’re buying them is for the magic and it’s the only thing they don’t talk about.

1 Like

I think the reality is it’s pretty difficult for any of us to state anything with significant proof.

I watch a few YouTubers who are decent runners (10km in the 30-34 min range) and they almost all come back to one of the Nike’s.

The most ‘scientific’ and easy to digest stuff is this Instagram account: Login • Instagram

According to that it’s AF (3%) > VF (2.7%) > Metaspeed Sky (2.5%) but they’ve not updated with the most recent versions.

3 Likes

Tempos are meant to be the training shoe to the Alphaflys, being your race shoe. Tempos have a composite plate rather than carbon. Varporflys are for the people who don’t like the Alphas it seems.

Okay…so…

Alphas are useless at cornering.
They’re really unstable and if you pronate massively, they’re not the shoe for you, as you’ll likely fall over.
If you don’t lift your feet high enough when running, then you’ll also fall over, as the stack height on them is huge.
They are awesome on tarmac, in a straight line, with very slow bends.

Vaporfly are much much lower at the front.
To me, the forefoot padding is garbage (I bruised my forefoot at Staffs due to this), but, they’re good at cornering and they are also decent on the light trail gravel sand type stuff (you know, that yellow stuff they have at reservoirs, cycleways etc)

I wouldn’t use either of them for 5km now, got the Streakfly for that. Much more control and stability for parkrun courses.

Vaporfly for 10km - HM
Alpha for marathon

Although, I’d buy some custom Vaporfly Next2% for triathlon - as you can get the FlyKnit upper of the old 4%, toggle elastic laces and a waffle sole for grip :clap:t3::+1:t3:

Right, no more questions now @joex
Just buy them please.

2 Likes

There’s some tempo’s but are still £125 which seems expensive for a training trainer?

I still use my flyknit’s at parkrun’s and think they provide a decent boost.

Plus I’ve got a lot of other things to buy for holidays!

I love the tempos. They’re my current favourite shoe. Expensive, yes. But my legs feel so much better running on them. Though they are quite aggressive on my calves I think.

2 Likes

Best I can see are the VaporFly Next% 2 for £179 at sportshoes, which is the price of the tempos.

Tempo’s are £125 in the sale?

1 Like

Yes, on the other site?

I think I get a ten or twenty percent discount on sportshoes though…need to check. Disaster day today. Will revisit tonight if I remember.

1 Like