Nutrition for Tinpot Poets

Always :joy::face_with_peeking_eye:
My wife is in, too. So thatā€™s helped :white_check_mark:

I had to work it out around office days, recurring meetings and supper/dinner/tea.

Basic premise being I finish work between 1630 and 1730, then maybe exercise for 30mins, added 30mins prep time and itā€™s a meal time of 1830 ā€¦
Which means a brekkie at 1030. Lunch at 1300.

I donā€™t want to eat breakfast any later than that, really.

1 Like

I also thought this, but @Hammerer said itā€™s nonsense. And heā€™s the boss :man_teacher:t2:

3 Likes

I think it stems from body builders ( hence the protein shake thingy) they all religiously drink one as soon as they stop.

Iā€™ve always eaten straight away and done really well off it at times. Iā€™m fading now tri wise but some of the other stuff I can do body weight wise is elite for sure.

Iā€™m not an expert but being ā€œ starving ā€œ and in your situation today I really would be ā€œ starvingā€ benefits nobody.

I follow several sports all the ā€œ rippedā€ and fast athletes seem to eat small amounts several times a day, my family all mostly fatties to be honest, Iā€™m guessing I share there genetics, and being quite muscular / low ish body fat Iā€™d put down to diet choices and correct exercise choices. Gets harder as you get older but I really wouldnā€™t starve myself at any time.

16:8 worked really well for Me but I exercised and ate within the 8 hours. ( nights)

2 Likes

Every week now to be honest ā€¦

4 Likes

At the start of the year I was fasting for 17 hours, 1 to 2 days a week. Iā€™m not sure if doing so few negates any benefit. It was fine with Z1/2 training but as soon as I tried to incorporate harder efforts I felt really tired and couldnā€™t push it.

@Mungo2 that looks good. I was in a habit of batch cooking but Iā€™m out of sync atm. Is that a chicken stew?

2 Likes

Is that a weeks worth of lunch and dinner?

2 Likes

Variety is the spice of life eh? :thinking: :rofl:

(our freezer isnā€™t big enough for all that, plus other food)

4 Likes

I like to eat,
and canā€™t see my feet,
I need to think of my health,
leave the chips on the shelf,
Iā€™ll never be in the hunt,
cos Iā€™m a big fat piggy ā€¦

Is that tinpot poet enough? :rofl:

5 Likes

It depends :rofl:

Trying to make this as simple as possible so dont pick holes
The body uses ATP
ATP can come from glycogen or Fats (unused protein can be turned into glycogen also)
Glycogen is stored in liver and muscles.
Glycogen can be replaced by carbohydrates (prefered source as its easy and body is greedy)
Fats can be used when glycogen is low or when you are low intensity. (Zone 0-1 can be 70% fats)

ā€œStarvation modeā€ is a bit of a myth BUT comes from a slight misunderstanding rather than being just wrong. When the body literally has no glycogen and is struggling to produce enough ATP via triglycerides / keytones / glycogen to fuel the basic function of the body it slows you down to a point that only the vital organs are being fuelled, ie brain,. In practice this is massively lower and this is at really problematic levels not someone a little under on calories. You could get issues when training, ie reduced performance, the bonk etc. if underfuelled but this needs to be sustained over lengthy periods to be a major issue.

There is a method of reverse dieting, but this is typically to get people to eat more to increase nutrient intake and then you lower the carbs to a level they then remain stable. This is hard in weightloss circles as people always put weight on so quit but it is mainly stored Glycogen and water weight rather than fat, and these types of ā€œclientsā€ are also nowhere near ā€œstarvationā€ so its more to find a limit for them.

It is all rather complicated and at the level of intake to get to ā€œstarvationā€ or what it should be called self preservation mode, youd likely have more pressing issues like disordered eating or even eating disorders and you should be seeing someone far more education than a bloke on the internet :wink:

To note the metabolism is complex and ever changing anyway, stress, lack of sleep, gut bacteria can all cause minor adjustments.

3 Likes

After any ā€œseriousā€ training you should try to get around 30g of protein in and a decent amount of carbs through veggies if possible. I remember Graeme Obree saying his go to was a tin of sardines on 2 white toast with a side of broccoli. Edible within minutes of returning. Dont even need a fake shake (although they also have their place)

3 Likes

Did you mean eg brain?

The body needs quite a lot to fuel the vital organsā€¦thereā€™s quite a lot of themā€¦

1 Like

Especially that blokeā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes and yes, often the ā€œi only eat 1000kcal a day and still cant lose weightā€ is trotted out but 99.9% of the time its because they are eating much more, not that they are in some sort of ā€œstarvation modeā€, where they would be still losing weight anyway as the body wont be storing any excess fat, it will need it.

2 Likes

Dunning Kruger at its finest :rofl:

1 Like

Interestingly or not, ā€˜starvation modeā€™ is in actually in my L3 PT coursework material. Iā€™m not saying thats the pinnacle of nutritional information. And its not something I particularly agree with the concept either. I suspect there is a small element of it that is true but the effect is probably largely overplayed.

Shame on you ! Lol

Veggie stew that one ? Or was it curry ?
Potato and carrot base
Then what ever I can find on the bargain isle !
Fresh is best but use frozen if I have too.

Quorn is fried in onions and peppers then the whole thing goes in the pan with the boiled stuff
Results vary from ā€œ you could sell that whatā€™s the recipie?ā€ To grim !

No cooking awards but healthy AF compared to most of the crap on offer I have one a day every day !

2 Likes

My girlfriend begrudgingly admits some are ā€œ okā€
She watches cooking programmes constantly yet doesnā€™t do that much cooking.

I have two friends one works with me and will be by my side for my last day in a weeks time, heā€™s financially ducked yet earns a fortune with overtime
These meals are the only thing he will take off meā€¦?! And 3 pairs of hokas in the last year ( they give me blisters)

Also another person who has hit hard times and has come to live in our street, he was homeless a year ago, I just said ā€œ try this one ā€¦ try this oneā€ to get him to take them.

He says there nice and brings the containers back ā€¦ well you would do wouldnā€™t you.

There both murderers kik you lot I have promised a ā€œ meat ā€œ one soon ā€¦ grim ā€¦ AF !

1 Like

Mine is a banana

Straight away, Iā€™m getting in good shape now, minus the calf, but being veggie and old Iā€™m looking at protein intake

Itā€™s probably quite low ?!

1 Like

Mine after a hard ride was a banana, whole milk, ice and honey in the blender. Gert lush :grin:

1 Like

There all mixed up!
Bit of variety !!

How else am I going to 100 burpees unbroken in my mid fifties !

5 Likes