Olympic distance sub 2:30?

My PB was at the Inter Services there, but different course. The run was 3 ‘big’ laps of both lakes. Luckily it hadn’t rained for a while; it was the same month it was hotter than the surface of Mercury at the Outlaw iirc :thinking: :laughing:

Hey gang, bike training still light and regular at the moment…I was watching GCN’s Ollie hour record episode; on track, super aero, 300W for an hour, he covered 47km.

So am I vastly over estimating how easy 40km in an hour is in an Olympic tri?

1 Like

Well, statistically, very few people ride under an hour for a genuine 40km Oly Tri bike leg (non drafting). Most of the guys I’ve seen do it are low 2h or sub-2 Oly Dist triathletes. I think my best was 63:xx on a flatish course, where I did 2:07:56 overall.

You don’t need to be anywhere near that bike fit to do a sub 2:30. Also remember ‘bike for show, run for dough’

1 Like

My London Westminster effort was 296np for 1:03 - road bike

1 Like

Apparently… just had a look, and its still there.

They’ve made a concerted effort to not make the user experience any better.

2 Likes

wow, just logged in again. awesome, its even worse than it used to be

1 Like

Looking at the three I did, makes me cry, I’d spank those times now:

Wolverhampton Classic 2007 2:26:03
30:37, 1:12:23, 43:53

Chester Deva Triathlon 2008 2:26:06
30:44, 1:09:00, 43:38

Barton Marina Standard 2009 2:14:05
26:46, 1:04:29, 41:11

2 Likes

Just checked my last Olympic Distance which was 2:29:42, so just under.

The splits were
27:08, 1:11:37, 43:21

This was Windsor so quite a fast course

1 Like

Windsa used to be really slow, the run was 3 laps going up the hill and a gentle climb to the college and back also. The bike was rolling crap roads and long at 42k. Also the swim was mainly up stream. I understand they’ve changed it a lot though

An observation from an armchair athlete here … but of all the times you guys are posting i’m surprised at how ‘slow’ the run times are. Not many at all breaking 40, which isn’t exactly motoring. Not compared to some of the big old swim and bike splits that are getting thrown down.

1 Like

Well I did it in 2017. I know that the swim has changed and is predominately down stream but then you do have a a stupidly long transition until you can mount your bike. The bike course is what I remember as flat, 282m (it’s UK roads so the surface is never going to be great). The run also changed that year. There is still the climb to the castle (3 laps) but this time you go into the park which was nice.

1 Like

Grass. Dead turns, multiple laps overtaking much slower people.
Like someone else said, the course is most of the battle.

2007 was my first year of exercise, I went under 2:30 for an Olympic at my first attempt
My 10km “PB” (as in, my first ever 10k) was 39:18 (5km was 19:52)

2008, I managed to get my 10km down to 37:54 (5km was 19:08)

2009, my 10km was at 37:34 (5km was 17:48)

2010, I had my 10km at 35:01, 5km at 17:07 and mile at 5:00.1

But, @gingerbongo, I’d also say the times for the run are pedestrian.

1 Like

Agreed sub 40 does seem more appropriate. Just gone back to some of my late 90s times and the 10Ks there were 37.xx. But I was a lot younger then :slight_smile:

Just to even it up for @gingerbongo, my only Oly and had the run of my life that day, each km split got progressively faster and set a 5 and 10km pb. 9.5km for the run so should have been ~36:15 - still not beat that.
And yes I had a Faulty Towers style T1, shoes came off bike running to mount line and I had to run back against oncoming race to find them.

5 Likes

That bike can’t have been flat?

Cracking run that even if short

Think 250-300m elevation in 40km so as flat as could be on the island. Basically a full lap of the West side, bit of a climb going out but gloriously fast smooth roads coming back down and lucky with minimal wind for super fast day.

2 Likes

A million squats and there’s a two hour time there …!

That is some run and swim,?they should call you Chriswi … Oh wait!

2 Likes

Sea swim, 8 dead stop 180 degree turns on the run, but would be a good race for people to post fast times as the bike is so fast and its a very well organised race. Think I finished around 7th.

1 Like

For me its maximising my good events and accepting my limitations. My sub 2.30 I weighed 95 kg, and that was bloody light for me at 6’5". Going sub 40 mins in a standalone 10k is hard.

But I am a good swimmer and can knock out a good time without going all out. On the bike if its flat ish my size means I can churn out more power and again clock a reasonable effort.

I’m just not built for fast running. Having said that James Cracknell ,similar height , same weight, 8 years older than me, was moaning recently that he did a 38.30 10k and was aiming for a 37:30. But the he is a double Olmpian, and a nutter.

2 Likes

Fair points above. It just struck me as an unusual statistic.

I guess as a runner, then cyclist then swimmer i would naturally load my race from the back end. I expected that finidng 2 mins on the run, to put you in 38 territory, would be easier than finding 2 moins on the swim for example. But again, maybe that’s my runner’s bias.