Outlaw 2019

Perfect. Music to my ears. I now don’t need to hear any further reports :rofl:

HPP is pretty notorious for wind. A friend who rows told me they hated it because the wind meant that some of the lanes would always be an absolute nightmare (much more so than other lakes) and if you were drawn in a certain lane for an early round you were pretty much guaranteed to be knocked out before you started.

There’s also a bit of a urban legend around Nottingham that the location was originally intended to be an airport but they decided it was too windy, so they built the rowing lake instead.

No idea how much truth there is to these (i suspect very little in terms of the later) but having cycled far too many laps of that lake, it is certainly no mill pond.

I’ve always used the Met Office for UK weather; seems the most reliable in my experience. Wetter.com for Germany.

I guess it’s all relative.

Saudis think 40 degrees is okay, the Swiss think hot cheese is a delicacy, the French think burning animals is normal, the Germans think drinking beer for breakfast on Fridays is a good thing.

People from Nottingham and rowers, think a breeze around HPP is 10 on the Beaufort Scale.

1 Like

Then there’s that one hill :dizzy_face:

Something ‘Bank’? But it’s not actually that bad. I found the false flats on the top end of the northern loop worse; they tended to be more exposed as well.

I guess if you live somewhere flat like Lincs or Notts it’s a proper climb but around here they’re everywhere.

The ‘hill’ is nothing to worry about.

Last rode it in 2014 mind but I defo went up and over in the big ring

https://www.strava.com/segments/7182365

Takes 2:30 to get up at @Jorgan pace.
Why aren’t I on there???
Must be new since 2012.

Stalker!

That was actually a recce on the Friday. On race day I did 2:49 & 2:52.

I’m 2:27 from Outlaw half 2014 probably way too fast :see_no_evil:

1 Like

I thought if you set-up a segment it went back and filled everyone in retrospectively but you won’t appear if your activity is private or only followers. It has to be public to be on leader boards now I think.

1 Like

Ah. Yes.
Or I was just really damn slow up the hill and aren’t anywhere near the leaderboard :rofl:

1 Like

Seems like there are two here:

https://www.strava.com/segments/821134?filter=overall

Even though the way up the “hill” was the same in 2012 to 2017, it doesn’t appear to be picking up my ride?
Very very odd behaviour by strava - DAMN YOU!

New weather report is pretty epic!

16 degrees at 4am, with cloud cover.
starts raining about midday to 1pm (just after the bike)
Hits peak temperature of 22 degrees at 4pm, just as folks are finishing the run.
then is on and off rain until 7pm.

First 56km of the bike is a tailwind, then crosswinds for about 10km, then a headwind for all the way joining the southern and northern loop.
the wind then changes direction and you’re treated to a cross-tailwind for the ride home :smiley:

Wind speeds are between 10kmh and 14kmh, so it’s pretty much a very decent day.

1 Like

I can live with that :sunglasses:

Saw the rain late on Saturday hadn’t realised it continued on Sunday too

Saw your cycle commute - I’d be petrified!
Wrap yourself up in cotton wool from tomorrow and sit in front of the A/C unit :ok_hand:t4::+1:t3:

Yes, the sun seems to bring the stupidness out in people. Doing that for the rest of the week too!

Was bloody hot waiting at the lights. Only going to get worse :fire:

60km per day before an IM :scream:
I hope it’s an eBike :wink:

1 Like