Pro race chat (Tri)

Yep, 2nd place to Lionel very much in play……

6 Likes

A Mexican winning Ironman would be great.

Not sure how the right wing American triathletes would take it…I hope he wins!

5 Likes

My geography is terrible because I was going to say Christian Bustos came close back in the day.

Except he’s from Chile.

Ok then, what about Fernanda Keller?

Nope. Brazil.

1 Like

“ Taking the tape in style, Rodriguez won his first full distance title and displayed his brilliant bounce back ability, having finished 45th three weeks ago at IRONMAN 70.3 Oceanside.”

Tinkle, tinkle…

He was slower at campeche 70.3 in bike and run paces in March. He ran a 2:38 in November of a similar bike at Cozumel but no swim.

All of these courses are flat bike and run, except a bit more rolling run at Texas.

So definitely an improvement but not a leap forward like say, cutting twenty minutes off your run leg between Munich and Kona.

1 Like

He might have to hurdle Trump’s wall as well after November….

3 Likes

Is the pro series designed to increase the likelihood of a US winner?

Lange is leading at the moment - he races much more consistently but much less frequently than the North Americans in the top 5. And in a league situation frequency is huge.

1 Like

If you can execute in races, then you only need to do a quarter of them seeing as it’s only the top 5 results that count (max of 3 full distance).

At the ironman distance, it does probably become an interesting dilemma about racing more to give yourself more opportunities to score good points, but then never really being able to train properly and constantly in recovery/race prep mode. Probably helps the people who win one early and get max points…you can give yourself a bit of space to properly build up to another one

3 Likes

Planning to watch after a run this afternoon.

Start lists aren’t inspiring, and I’m not a huge Long fan.

1 Like

I’ll probably dip in when I can, but haven’t really looked at who’s there.

What a stunning course! Temperature is going to really ramp up though to nearly 30c.

2 Likes

Can’t get the stream up on my phone

Looks like Finlay is pulling away from Salthouse, Metzler at 41km into the bike. And Long riding up through the field as expected.

2 Likes

Sub 2 bike for long
Swimming is so overrated !

5 Likes

Long is a bit marmite and a weak field today but he’s put in an excellent performance and course record apparently.

1 Like

I think he has toned it all down a bit and I reckon was being all ‘yo yo yo’ for a bit of publicity. The recent interview I have heard him give, he seems alright.

1 Like

Alex Yee won a French grand prix race today, beating Hayden Wilde

9 Likes

Amazed how many names I still recognise in that French series 11 years after I left it.

Aw man I’d have much rather watched that. Missed the advertising.

Sub 2 hour bike on that course is absolutely shifting. There’s around 1000 metres climbing iirc!

6 Likes

Sam Appo was first ever male under 8 hrs at IM Oz this morning as well.

8 Likes

Fully understand why Sam Long is not the most liked triathlete. In his defense his more annoying traits were as he was coming through, he’s still fairly young (28) and has matured quite a bit in recent years.

Likewise, triathlon is a sport where social media/sponsorship makes up such a large part of income that being a controversial athlete generates more $ than being a meek, reserved one. Sam Laidlow made similar noises when he was a relative nobody before, ultimately, backing it up coming #2 in Kona

3 Likes