That’s likely to be a very expensive swim! And at that pace they might get the hook after lap 1?
agree ,even more so if a sea swim
I don’t believe it is possible to swim 4:18 per 100m pace, surely you’d drown
I’m imagining them like the Channel swimmers swimming against the tide and basically working hard just to stay in the same place
![]()
![]()
It was the riptide ![]()
That sounds like LCW one year. The turn buoy didn’t have enough anchorage and we chasing it half way to friggin’ Bristol. ![]()
Riptide, you say?
![]()
Just seen this in my strava feed, I follow this guy! Fair to say this was from some messing around on holiday, the guy is a former Kona qualifier (at IM Wales) and the qualified coach. He knows what it takes to swim IM Wales.
You would think, but I’m sure I could manage it. Just think IF your swim has more in common with treading water than effectively moving forward.
He’s trolling the IM Wales group lolz
“Didn’t finish the 10k I’d planned today, unfortunately. I forgot my gel/thought I’d be ok without it. I wasn’t, lol I hit a wall incredibly hard at around 4 miles, pushed through for a mile and a half and my pace was terrible: Finished off walking
”
So 10km was taking about an hour so hit 6km about 36 minutes and bonked. Yeah its because you forgot your gel.
Maybe they are keto and running above threshold..
wtf-emoji
I think the simplest explanation is they set off for a 30k ride last night, got lost, 180k later they get home in the dark to find a power cut, the fridge and freezer defrosted with everything mouldy, shops shut, so they just gave up and went to bed. Woke up late, didn’t have time to scavenge berries and insects for breakfast and as such forgot their only gel they’d got set aside for the 10k too.
Short version, didnt eat properly the day before.. skipped breakfast… forgot gel.
Or started the first half far too hard (like it was a 5km.) ![]()
PS I was good I didn’t reply… I twitched a few times though.
Running convo on a facebook group Im not part of but ended up on my feed. Just remember this important fact, its BSc level stuff.
I have my bachelors in Exercise Science (we had the best classes!). If you start out too fast on a long run (like a half or longer), then you’ll burn out sooner. Running fast for a 5k is totally different than the first 3.1 miles of a long (especially a regular training) run.
Who’d have thought that ![]()
![]()
Where do I sign up to learn this stuff? It must have come from the Norwegian Method or something?
Type “Run” in the commentz section to get DM’d a detailed breakdown.
![]()
“Too fast” is by definition too fast
Insightful!
This one might have legs!