Not really. There is always a huge hoo ha anytime they change how FTP is determined. The vast majority of cyclists live in a fantasy world when it come to FTP so it’s easy to ruffle feathers.
They know FTP isn’t a big deal, they know what really makes people faster and are open about it, but they have to improve within the constraints of ignorance in their consumer base.
Not a new metric, just how FTP defined (aiFTP.) They have decided to define threshold, FTP, MLSS (assuming you think these are almost similar) if not lets just say FTP, at the equivalent to Level 3.0 threshold workout in their system. So yes, it is kind of a TR unique metric in that sense,
It is about the power you can hold for 4x 7 minutes on / 7 minutes off a level 3.2, or 3x 9 minute. So 27 - 28 minutes of work at their definition of threshold with equal rest is now ~FTP.
So traditional 40 - 70 minutes = approximately 28 minutes with rests.
They are also predicting a number with a 28 day window.
I’m not making any judgement other than human physiology hasn’t changed over night just because of ai and marketing. So I am trying to keep an open mind and watching how it plays out.
I use a power curve (for swimming as well) 5sec, 1,5,20 and set sessions based off those. I created a session based off the sufferfest 4D one which hits most boundaries. WKO is a decent bit of software as well for people using power (although probably too much for most weekend warriors )
However Maximal Metabolic Steady State (MMSS) is close to Maximum Lactate Steady State (MLSS.) The theoretical boundary (although its a narrow range) between sustainable (heavy) from unsustainable (severe) physiology is important in training IMO, although mainly, maybe only when training at or near to “threshold”
Edit: most aren’t testing Lactate, MMSS is what matters.
What I found more interesting was his posting of people’s predicted 40 min and 60min power, it varied person to person as to how much it changed from FTP - reassuring, because the ML is interrogating power files and running simulations based on actual improved performance, not fucking about with conjectured physiological models of performance.
Most people think their FTP is comparable between athletes - there’s no hope of explaining this stuff to them.
The problem with FTP is that people/platforms use the same name for different things. That is what gets Coggan worked up so much, from what I have seen. A ramp test (e.g.) can predict your FTP but that isn’t measuring your FTP.
One of the things I find really interesting with this whole Norwegian method bollox is how they use threshold training to describe working just under LT2. Which to me sounds a lot like sweet spot training that time trailists have been advocating for decades.
To be fair his message is good for most things in life, stop wasting money, stop worrying about the 1% just commit and show up daily and you are going to get somewhere. You might not be Yee, Peaty or some beast off u tubbies but you will be a better version of you.
JFS as I used to say.
Only downside, he needs to cut his videos better. All that jumping because he cant speak for more than 30seconds in one go can make you queezy
I found his comment about overweight athletes with Garmin watches and Vaporfly trainers cut a little to close to the bone for me, he needs to operate a broader church and stop being such a reverse snob.
I was going to reply to @joex on the TR forum but then realised I had been logged out.
Seems I have been banned, obviously they dont get British humour, Im not sure I said anything that bad, except for the staff to be nice to their customers in a sarcastic joking way, many are mad at the new AI so maybe they are over sensitive.
But maybe it was something else (fucked up thier AI launch, I didnt say that by the way.)