Quality Slowtwitch/IMJ Threads

I’m enjoying the one that initiates a discussion about Sebi/Jan having a ‘Dave and Mark’ style rivalry but manages to shoehorn Lionel into it for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

1 Like

Do they realise that Scott/Allen barely spoke to each other and had an awkward relationship; how’s that like Frodo/Kienle?

A better comparison would be between Lange and one of those two. They have both made some disparaging remarks about Lange’s tactics. Particularly apt as Lange is starting to look invulnerable in Kona, but beatable elsewhere, much like Dave Scott.

But what do the Twits know.

This one continues to have legs. It’s now gone mainstream press in the US, with national papers reporting it on front pages! STers are reporting hearing radio shows talk about it on their commutes.

The best development has been a Let’s Run poster finding a picture of him on a bike in one of his previous marathons. MI’s got a whole series of articles on this now, and “bike-gate” is in the latest one

2 Likes

from which the fantastic your a moran quote comes from…

Poop doping anyone?

Made it to the daily mail too apparently

WTAF: Do you wear your helmet when you’re on rollers?
Learn to ride you moron!

1 Like

I saw that and initially thought it was a spoof but they then got into a bit of a discussion about it being a good idea.
I use rollers and my wheels have dropped off the side a few times, when I’ve lost concentration or got a bit cocky having a drink etc, but I’ve never actually full on crashed. (I may regret saying that at some point)

This story has taken a very dark turn and the chap has been found dead in a river in LA

Fucking hell. So Lets Run and SlowTwat ran one of the usual witch hunts and got the guy in the news and now he has presumably committed suicide ?

Indeed. Got picked up in mainstream media like LA Times and spread like wildfire…and then took a very grim turn.
It’s a parable for insanity of nastiness of much of modern media

I haven’t followed that Frank Meza story, but I do recall seeing a picture of him on a bike with a bib number on. Was the whole thing compounded by the fact he vehemently denied the claims, hence why the witch hunt continued?

It’s a shame, because whilst what he did was dishonest and douchey, it wasn’t remotely a ‘felony’ of any type. Another cautionary tale of the effects of modern media.

Holy shit. OK, so didnt see that coming. That’s a proper dark twist. And a very sad one.

Its maid all the more worse now with people on the various threads defending themselves and saying they had nothing to do with it. One even says that its his fault as all actions have consequences and chose all his actions. But he didn’t chose a bunch of fucking cockwombles on the internet to hound him over his behavior.

This has been coming for a while. The twitch hunts have been getting out of hand and they really need to take a long hard look at themselves.

I haven’t followed the Frank story, but I feel embarrassed to have enjoyed other investigations.

Yeah its really bad, some people took way too much pleasure in keeping digging it - I read first article on it and stopped after - there was not much else to it - he blatantly cheated, and denied it. Move on
But on ST every day there was a further update

But at same time, if a Pro athlete was caught doping (ie those Australian skiers who were caught with blood bags) later committed suicide you would not blame the officials for catching them.

So like every proper tragedy there are nuances and culpability on lots of people.

That’s not the same though. Pro’s cheating has a much bigger impact on the people around them, loss of wins, earnings, placements etc. The people doing the dope testing are appointed and are doing a job. A job that is usually done with discretion and following a careful process designed to enforce a specific rule that is agreed and known by all. They are not hounding people, running to the press constantly digging.

This case is a bunch self-appointed eVigilantes deciding what is and isn’t morally wrong in the world of amateur sport and basically bullying a 70 year old man, who whilst has done a silly thing, really hasn’t hurt anyone at all. The impact of his actions on the wider community is non existent.

They kept on and on at him and look at the end result. Now to be sat back shaking their heads saying not our fault guv is fucking vile.

ETA - ok, so I just saw one thing that said he had cheated to get a world record and some people wanted that DQ’d to preserve the actual world record and that I think is fair enough. The rest, a disgrace.

Sorry I should probably take this to the rant thread. But one more thing. The fucking nerve of those on ST and LR who are blaming him for it and saying he should be responsible for his actions, yet are completely unwilling to take any responsibility of their own for setting in motion something which ended up with a person dead at the end of it. Fucking smell yourseves.

That’s enough now, its just making me more angry talking about it.

1 Like

Agreed; its sad all round. I think the original investigation into it was well meaning; protect the sanctity of the WR
But all that came after, especially mass media jumping on this for ‘shock value’ was nothing more than a disgrace. It’s just like the Jeremy Kyle thing - no thought at all for the human
(And that clown Kyle is hilarious - he will publicly humiliate people for 20 yrs but is now himself refusing to face a parliamentary enquiry)

1 Like

I see that Marathon Investigates hasn’t published anything on the website yet. Considering that this where the story started then I am surprised there is no comment on this

I checked as well; TBH he is probably going WTF
And being in America, is probably on the phone to his lawyer…