Sean Conway Iron 102

It was possibly my back & front, there were a few pictures taken.

I’ll chat a bit more later, I’m just in & have to put tea on.

12 Likes

When you come back, was it good - shall I go on Tuesday?
I’m a bit scared :joy:

You’ve not accepted my follow on strava (TeeJay Peeps), so I can’t stalk your ride!

2 Likes

Pervert.

2 Likes

He’s a lovely chap.

I knew the loop he was doing so put it into my Wahoo & decided to cycle over & do it in the opposite direction. If I bumped into him it would be great & if not I would try putting out my weedy Cotswold power for a bit of practice. I met him soloing after 50km, about halfway around his 47km loop.

As well as the heat, it was windy AF today & he was on his first loop - of 3 - & delighted to see me, something that doesn’t happen often :man_shrugging: :laughing: . I think I caught him at a low point.

I don’t group ride much & despite sitting up to punch a bigger hole than usual & pushing out baby watts it was difficult to find a pace comfortable for him, but we got there.

He’d had a bit of a whoopsy with a pothole earlier in the week & one of his shoes didn’t unclip so a physio gave him some treatment before the 2nd loop. We also picked up a couple of other riders which was great.

At the end of that loop they called it a day & he was very appreciative of their help but I felt invested now so carried on with the 3rd loop & we tagged a bit more on to get the distance.

Ask anyone who knows me & they’ll tell you I’m not exactly a chatterbox :laughing: , but when we could we blethered about life, experiences, kids & all that good shit. I did have to come clean & tell him I knew nothing about him, hadn’t read any of his books, etc. He said he preferred it that way as I wouldn’t be disappointed meeting him in real life.

It was great to meet him, his support crew & I managed to fix the bell on his 2yr olds bike. He was chuffed when I told him my daughter had just messaged my saying she’d cleared a drain with a plunger & I was chuffed that his lad had done his first :poop: on the toilet. Both winning at parenthood.

17 Likes

Sounds like you had a blast @Doonhamer - you normally have a decent ride on a Friday do you think you’d join him for any more?

2 Likes

Yeah, I probably would have another ride out with him.

He’s a quiet chap, any incline fucks him & he dropped off. I kept telling him to shout at me to slow down speed up as I was quite happy just to be there doing a job of work.

8 Likes

Good on you @Doonhamer :+1: Sounds like you had an alright day with just the right amount of chatter :blush: And he called you a legend on Insta!!!

5 Likes

Bloody hell @Doonhamer you make ron cowboy look like a chubby chubster

8 Likes

:+1:t2:

6 Likes

Is he really in Holt?
My family are away next weekend so May join him for a ride.

5 Likes

Saw your ride on Strava @Doonhamer and (late as always!) then found this thread.

My project is dragging on but if he’s still going at the end of June I’ll get out with him :slight_smile:

Actually, I’ve no cycling plans for this weekend as still recovering from Thursday’s ride … might head out later on today or tomorrow and look for a big beard!

3 Likes

Is that not Andy Schleck in the pink jersey?:roll_eyes:

He looks quite easy to spot - the bloke with the massive ginger beard wearing all yellow🤣

6 Likes

Think @Doonhamer will be pleased with that!

Yeh, Sean sticks out like a sore thumb, resplendent :rofl:

4 Likes

Looks like the swim/run went ok for him yesterday, but a slow run only finishing 6mins before the midnight deadline :frowning:.

@Poet I’m not sure if you’re still considering helping him out on Tuesday, but his bike/run laps were on the Chester Greenway yesterday, not over at Holt. It would be worth checking his website/Insta.

1 Like

I’m heading that way out, so will see what his pace is first :roll_eyes:
Doing 150km on the greenway doesn’t appeal much :joy:

ETA: Oh Gawd! Cycling down the Dee path is horrific if the wind is the wrong direction, and utterly blissful if it’s a tailwind.

His Insta said he was doing it from the pool for a few days, due to some logistical challenges. So maybe that?

1 Like

9 laps :exploding_head:

4 Likes

How’d you see that???
I was just trying to figure it out :joy:

1 Like

Easier on a laptop, just run the mouse along :joy:

1 Like

Nice :cool::sunglasses:

I see someone did all of the laps with him :exploding_head:
I’m not sure how there’s 850m elevation on that route :thinking:

Plus, IIRC, there’s a few sharp and tight pinch point gates to stop mopeds getting on there. Which are annoying.

1 Like