Strength training

For some no equipment strength sessions take a look at firstplacetri.wordpress. com there are quite a few sessions on there.

Alternatively just lift cans of tinned meat. :rofl:

2 Likes

30-45min barbell/cage based routine in place of swim workouts until the pools reopenā€¦?

Light load, 3x12 kind of thing

1. Bench press
  2. Pendlay row
  3. Plank
  4. Pull ups
  5. Side plank
  6. Power clean
  7. Shrugs

Alternate:

1. Overhead press
  2. Chin-ups
  3. Tricep dips
  4. Crunches
  5. Hanging knee raises
  6. Skull crushers
  7. Weighted shoulder rotations

The main idea Iā€™m looking for is to get into my swim routine and load relevant muscles, so that when I move to swimming 3/week the sudden addition of 2-3hrs swimming doesnā€™t wipe out my bike and run training

Then - not swimming - my last session of the week would be an actual strength session, heavy 3x5 squat/press/dead

3 Likes

Found this, Adam Peatyā€™s lifting

1 Like

Sorry if this has already been covered, I couldnā€™t see it with a quick scan, but has anyone come across a simple app. for recording weight workouts.
Eg. Flat Bench - 3x10@60kg
Iā€™ve just picked up a simple bench to go with my selectable dumbbells and intend to give it a proper go over autumn/winter. I always kept a little note book when I was weight training seriously in my youth and may just do that if easier.

ETA - just done some more Googling and one called Fitnotes seems to be what I was looking for but still interested in any personal experience of others. Cheers.

1 Like

Think you can do this on Garmin Connect when you record a weight training activity

2 Likes

Yes, I do this.

1 Like

Cheers fellas but Iā€™m struggling to find where that is in GC.
I can see where to add a manual activity but nothing to record sets as you go along. Hereā€™s a shot from the app I found:

1 Like

After recording and saving a strength session, you can add the details

1 Like

I have modified the Power 5 Benchmarks workout to be a StrongLifts 5x5 combined session:

It prompts you for the rest and type of workout and you can input the reps/weight after each interval

2 Likes

Thanks again for the details fellas.
Iā€™ve just had a little play and it seems I can record a strength workout on my watch then edit this in GC afterwards to add the sets/reps/weights or I can build the workout in advance then send that to my watch to record as I go along.
Both seem a bit of a faff, I was looking for something I could fill in as I went along, so if I managed 8 or 12 reps instead of the planned 10 I just record that there and then.
Iā€™m thinking Iā€™ll record on Garmin so I have a record of doing a workout but go with the app I found as an electronic notepad to fill in as I go.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what my approach does, it only ā€œconstrainsā€ you to the workout type (eg press or squat etc), and if you canā€™t do any more just hit lap to skip to the next planned workout type.

Personally I think itā€™s simpler to preset the weight as well.

1 Like

Iā€™ve used JeFit for years. Itā€™s pretty good. Has a couple of minor irritations in the way it works.

You create a workout, exercises are configured for reps and sets, or time etc. Then you progress through and record what you actually did. Thing I like about is it preserves the weight you lifted last for that exercise so you donā€™t need to remember.

2 Likes

Love a new app, PBā€™s across the boardā€¦Boom!

4 Likes

@clive
Carried on from Injury List- do any parts of you still work?

The South Africa institute of Sport had some good stuff while I was there, along with tests of strength vs endurance but no idea on the results.
Machine did quad extensions and hamstring Curls, single leg, with resistance being set each rep based on your force. So you started max effort and it would gradually adjust as you fatigued, and show in what part of the rep you were strong in compared to others.

Iā€™ve seen guide of squat/Deadlift body weight for 5reps as a decent target, ideally 1.5x for more competitive athletes. Donā€™t know how true that is but seems about right. Anyone with better advice?

2 Likes

I have seen a lot that say 1.5 - 2.5 x body weight for 1RM is a good target for a competitive athlete.

1.5x for 5 sounds pretty tough to me.

Back when I lifted a lot I was about 1.3x for squat. Didnt use to deadlift much back then.

Be a nice goal to get back to that level

2 Likes

I was at 1.3x for squat and 1.5x for DL last winter for 4x4. I fid above that my left grip strength isnā€™t enough to hold it for x4 reps. My plan is to get back to that level and hopefully heavier, once I can get back in the gym and rhythm of training.

As much as I deny it internaly, I am getting on a bit so need to keep up to this.

ETA: That is with lifting x1 a week

1 Like

I was up to around 1.8x for 5 rep PBs when I was swimming at my best, and probably around the middle of the squad. That was when I raced 2-4 minutes.
Now Iā€™m about 1.4x for DL 5 rep, not done back Squat for a long time (a year) so likely around 1.1x.

2 Likes

Just been to physio today about my heel injury, and we discussed gym programme. Says Iā€™m a different person from ten years ago and recommended doing stuff that is more suited to the load Iā€™m putting my body under. Heā€™s going to put a programme together for me next session

Like what others are saying - squats, lunges etc

Has been on my mind for a while as to whether I should begin doing a bit of gym stuff

2 Likes

ā€¦ itā€™s just soooooooooooooo boring!!

5 Likes