Strength training

Learned that stuff when I was a kid. Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan stuff.

People still freak out when I pick up stuff with my feet, like it’s weird. Maybe it’s a repressed sexual thing, trotters anyone?

Known Scott for years…

Rabbit holes are worth going down coz that’s where you find out what works…

3 Likes

One of the best educators I’ve had across all sports, so knowledgeable but really personable as well. We even went down the carbon shoe for kids rabbit hole at lunchtime, due to him working with the academy in his region. Reminded me how bad zoom is in comparison, just don’t get the same group interaction or dynamics.

I think that’s quite close to saying more endurance fitness isn’t always better.

Yes more training isn’t always better if it compromises training elsewhere and prevents you improving other limiters* but in terms of just more strength not being better I don’t see it. More strength = greater distance per stroke/pedal revolution/stride.

• and even then, I agree with @explorerJC that most athletes do in fact benefit with some strength training at the expense of some endurance training as part of their programme.

I especially think this for the general person in terms of promoting overall health, but that’s a separate argument. Even just focusing on SBR performance I still think it’s nearly always beneficial.

4 Likes

What would be a good routine to work on my glutes? Ideally without any equipment. My running form is pretty rubbish because my hip drops.

At the moment I just do the occasional squat.

In fact, if anyone has a good reference for strength training exercises for running in general that’d be great.

1 Like

Body weight squats and lunges are good for glutes. Also glute bridges dont need equipment.

Squats I would say are the best because they hit all the main upper leg muscles. Glutes, hamstrings and quads

3 Likes

Thanks, do you use weights when squating? I’ll take a look at glute bridges :peach:

1 Like

I do yes, I have a power rack in the garage with an Olympic barbell

The important thing with squats and bridges when targeting the glutes is to squeeze those butt cheeks together

2 Likes

Glute bridges with correct form are killer. Clam shells are also great for glutes, and if you can add a light resistance band they really hit the spot. Again, form is everything with these. :+1:

3 Likes

If you modify the glute bridge into a hip thrust by raising your back onto a bench (or sofa) then it is more targetted at the glutes. It seem de rigeur with young women ATM

5 Likes

I’ve been prescribed split bridges from my phyios. One leg with arms on chest but every time I’ve done it for a couple of days, my left side shakes like crazy and I always end up with a rear of quad tightness for a few days. Happened about 4 times now, definitely not a coincidence.

1 Like

@d.t, I’ve had plenty of experience trying to activate and strengthen glutes….

…. For running, especially, they are actually two different things. You need to let the glutes fire, and then take more of the load.

Activation: clams, donkey kicks, side leg raises
Strengthening: bridges (body weight and weighted, also checkout one legged bridges) and a range of squats (goblet, in particular, are really effective. Just remember, when squatting, to actually use your bum otherwise the quads take the load.

2 Likes

Yes I’ve noticed scrolling Instagram that hip thrusts seem to be the in thing for young women.

Can honestly say I’ve never seen a bloke do one.

2 Likes

… Oh yeah!

:smirk:

4 Likes

Maybe do them every other day so you end up with doing more across a few weeks? Or maybe change them up so one legged one day, 2 legs the next and so on.

Hip extension with a band or cable will work glutes and hamstrings, maybe give them a try too?

I didn’t realise they had that name until I googled to comment here. I always just thought of them as a glute bridge variant, feet up focuses more towards hamstrings, torso up focuses more on glutes.

2 Likes

Are you searching a particular hashtag for this? :rofl:

1 Like

Thanks mate. Yes definitely scaled it back and moved to a two feet/legged effort. I’m using the band for a quite a bit of stuff but it’s most the the easiest ‘grey’ one.

Supplementing with loads of soleus work at the moment. Up to 22 on right leg and 20 on left. (bent knee and straight knee).

Seeing physio next week.

1 Like

Single leg deadlifts with something like a dumb bell or kettlebell are good fun

If you then add in a BOSU it’s even better

“It’s umm research honey, for fitness…honest.” :innocent:

3 Likes