The 2020 weigh-in thread

106.4 Yesterday, super pleased with that progess, I doubt it will last.

3 Likes

91.2kg today, 3.6kg off last week. All crap and booze cut out, still ate well, but really paying attention to calories in and portion size seems to work shockingly! :rofl:

4 Likes

82.4kg
20.6% BF

1 Like

Chart of my weight and CTL over past 12 months

Jan through to Mid November, there is a direct correlation between my weight and CTL. I keep reading that exercise plays little role in weight management, however, in my case I would argue that there is a strong correlation

Mid November to end of the year my weight stays high, even though CTL is increasing… this is the Christmas party and excess drinking effect. I think that the fact that I was exercising regularly meant that I kept weight flat, rather than putting on the pounds that I have seen in past years

January, I start to ramp the exercise, and am much more careful about diet, almost given up drinking; weight falls pretty quickly

4 Likes

Did you have to just plot that yourself? I’ve never found a way in training peaks to use the PMC data (CTL/ATL/TSB) in any manual graphs I’ve wanted to create.

I suspect it’s because the majority of studies aren’t on the volume/intensity you’re doing.

Nevertheless, I would suggest that in an ideal diet/training world your weight would fluctuate from off season slightly to peak season as yours appears to do…where mine is “overweight” year round! :sweat_smile:

So I still wouldn’t call it a weight management system.

Or have anything to do with the weights he’s talking about. The studies are about overweight people and many, many kg’s differences, not the few kg’s differences here which can be influenced simply by timing training and eating. Actual weight could potentially be the same throughout most of that once CTL got to 100, and the differences purely in water and glycogen stored and the timing of eating and exercise (when you train more, you’re more likely weighing yourself with depleted glycogen stores, so there could be a kilo or two nothing to do with your excess fat stores.)

3 Likes

It was pretty easy, exported data from Training peaks, which gives individual TSS for all my workouts, you specify date range, max 1 year. I was going to create my own spreadsheet to calculate CTL and ATL, but found one already created.

Created a pivot table to workout daily TSS and put data into the spreadsheet and it is done. CTL matches TP exactly. Took a few minutes to do

Remained at 77.5kg at this week’s weigh-in, second week syndrome I’m guessing as the body adapts to the new regime, well that’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it…

1 Like

I’ll take that train too!

1 Like

agreed

I think that it is healthy to put on a bit of weight in the off season, safe in the knowledge that I can lose it again pretty easily. I do struggle a bit to get below 72kg, which gives me a BMI around 24, this is the higher end of a healthy range. Is it normal to have a higher BMI due to extra muscle mass?

1 Like

It’s fine, but not common. My doctor isn’t bothered about my BMI even though it’s in the Danger Zone.

Although that’s probably because they don’t measure BF% :slight_smile:

I remember reading that in the film Twins, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Danny Devito both had a BMI of 35

1 Like

I would’ve thought it was pretty common.

I’ve always been at the upper end of BMI as i’m short but with (don’t laugh) a heavy skeleton (i did actually get told after an xray that i have big, dense bones!!). Up until recently i barely had any fat on me, yet always came out at around 24

2 Likes

My understanding was that BMI was a pretty useless measure for those that move more than average?

Yep, been hovering around the overweight category for quite a few years and although I could lose a few KG’s I’d hardly say I was fat!

I suspect it works reasonably well for about 80% of people though.

or those that come from backgrounds like rugby (me) or rowing where our body mass is often very high exclduing any fat. according to the BMI charts I am morbidly obese - sure, I’m carrying a bit of excess these days but ffs, I still have one chin and can see my muscles (in the right light… :wink:)

1 Like

Saw a sub-13 stones on the scale this morning. So under 2 stone left to reach race weight. But given I’m not going to make race weight for my HM in March and no other events yet on the horizon it may all simply be for vanity.

1 Like

Ate and drank like it was Xmas to try and shift cold… dumbed the training right down…

72.3kg this morning …!

On the mend anyway … onwards.

Potentially something related to this in play, but also probably a return to training (80k bike Sunday, 2k swim Monday, 1hr turbo Tuesday) leaving me dehydrated has already led to a reduction to 73.3kg this morning. That’s a bit more bearable!

Based on my Tuesday weight, my FTP test had me just a smidge above 3w/kg. Really rather poor.
Goal weight, plus goal FTP, would have that at bang on 4w/kg. When I write it like that, that seems a pretty hefty growth target.