The 2020 weigh-in thread

That’s pretty much what I’m aiming for. I need to lose 3kg and get back to my ftp a year ago and I should be around there.

3.4w/kg for me derived from ramp test last night, also aiming for 4. As you say it sounds like a massive jump but that’s only 3kg and ~30 watts from a relatively untrained state so fingers crossed!

1 Like

For me, it’s about 4.5kg down (although c3 of that is just excess weight from holiday splurge), but a hefty 50w FTP increase from where I was last night. That’s a 22% increase!!

That said, the test last night is from a seriously untrained state (on the bike). I would like to think a few weeks and I’ll get back about 20 of those watts.

69.7 Kgs, a bit of work to do post Xmas month of mayhem. None stop beer, wine, coffee, chocolate, biscuits (about 1/2 packet a day - stroke coming my way soon yikes). Just finished 3rd day off alcohol, coffee and shit food, by heck it’s tough.

2 Likes

steady training since Christmas - down to 71 - 5kgs less than this time last year :slight_smile:

3 Likes

71.5!
At it this week!

76.3 kg. Far too heavy for my 5’7”, however, not bad considering the amount of food I consumed in December.

1 Like

Okay I need to structure my eating again to get this house back in order.

Last two weeks Ive gone from 5h training to 8h, to 9.5h, gained weight and held my +2kg into this week. I mean 2kg of lard is quite a lot, ffs.

So;
06:00 Protein porridge and berries or boiled eggs and toast, white coffee no sugar
09:00 Latte no sugar
12:00 Tuna or chicken sandwich, latte no sugar
15:00 Water
Family Dinnertime - whatever, just add vegetables.
22:00 No Christmas Log/Cake/Pudding/Pies/Chocs/Cookies

:rofl:

I’ll still fuel my long runs with race day caffeine gels. 2h45 this Saturday.

2 Likes

I honestly think that an active person eating 3 meals a day can’t go far wrong. It’s what happens between the meals that causes the problems!

1 Like

First post - been following for a few years

114kgs - Jan 1st weight in, will shed 10kgs before first event in May.

4 Likes

@Jaawe Welcome. Which event are you doing?

Outlaw half, then 113 Cotswold before Vichy full.

Was looking for some insight on anyone who did Vichy last year, as they added some hills in 19 & some more in 20 = now 2300m

1 Like

Yep! For me if I want to lose weight I need to eat bigger meals. More savoury stops me mindlessly snacking on sugar/processed rubbish once I’m hungry/tired.

I’m one of those annoying people who just seemingly eats whatever, and still keeps the weight off. Granted, I exercise a lot; cycle to work 4x a week and around 12h week total. Last Friday someone brought in goodies and I had 2 jam donuts and a Belgian Bun on top of all my own food. I graze for England at work, and it doesn’t seem to affect me; I just process it. So at work this morning (already had porridge at home) before I go swimming at lunchtime, I will consume:

2 apples, 2 bananas, 2 Tesco Munch bars (266kcal ) 2 Nature Valley Bars (384kcal); so in all roughly 900kcal. Christmas didn’t seem to make a dent either, even with reduced volume (abeit way more running).

I don’t think ‘fasting’ seems to work for me, just steady input. I’m doing Dry January, and think that might help. Is anyone else not drinking alcohol at the moment?

Yes

I’ve done dry January for about 30 years now. I don’t really drink much these days so there isn’t a lot of point but I don’t want to break the sequence and I think it also makes you look at what you’re eating a bit more critically too.

Not completely dry, just not during the week, hoping to carry on into Feb and beyond too.

Used to have a couple of beers or wine every evening. As I don’t drink hot drinks I’ll have water/soft drinks at work, by the time the evening comes around I didn’t want the same again so went on to alcohol instead.

Should be interesting to see what difference it makes weight-wise and also performance-wise. I’d think the most noticeable change will be my Saturday training as previously it has always followed a 4-6 pint night.

There’s a lot of ‘empty’ kcals in some alcoholic drinks, so it should definitely make a difference.

1 Like

Me too, hasn’t been difficult for me at all to be honest - I’d fallen into having one or two drinks each night but it’s been fine sticking to soft drinks. I may go back to Friday/Saturday night only but we’ll see. Like you say it’s empty calories and doesn’t help if you train a lot over the weekend - getting out for early group rides or runs

I think that from a weight perspective, the issue with alcohol is that the body cannot convert alcohol to carbs, it has to convert it to fat. So carb loading on alcohol doesn’t work. On a positive note, Beer should be fine for those on a Keto diet… not that I would recommend that either