The Fan Dance

A lot of events are having to cancel at the point at which they need to book/confirm their venues or start paying out cash.
AEE at least only have the one venue to deal with and even then operate fairly independently from the Storey arms.

The crux for AEE is the Land Use permit, and evidence that they can apply the appropriate distancing with a reduced field (the Permit is perhaps contingent on the latter). Still… 2 months is a long time, especially in 2020.

Based on this, I might take some sunscreen for Arc of Attrition. :wink:

Yeah local tri to me was certain they were going ahead an BTF had approved their plans but then a month out they put out some cryptic message that they had lost their venue. It might be unrelated as the lake has suffered from algae in the past, but it sounded like the venue said no you can do it.

You don’t need poles…you can use your massive core strength to drive you up the steep bits and graceful agility on the descents…

The fan dance is really not that difficult, you just need to have quick feet to take advantage on the Roman road which is where most people struggle…you can certainly get loads of time back on the descent back to storey arms

2 Likes

You have me mixed up with GB :laughing:

Seriously, good to know, cheers. :+1:

2 Likes

He should #smashit like an #absolutelegend

Jorgan, do you think this will go ahead? Seems to be a possibility of new restrictions in a couple of weeks and Wales has always been on the brink.

Of course it will; just maybe not on the revised date.

How do you fancy the Fan in January? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Good warm up for Arc of Attrition in Feb. :+1:

1 Like

Jorgan, assuming it’s on, have you received any email pack? I was curious about any mandatory kit and they say an email pack would be sent but I’ve not had anything?

Having done it this January, I think a mild winter day probably offers the best conditions. We had mostly good visibility, 5 to 8 degrees, not much wind, no rain.

Deep snow, that would not be so good :grinning: although the website suggests they went ahead in previous years when the winter weather was atrocious.

How’s the training going?

I did a loop up in the Cairngorms last Sunday; pretty much FD ascent in just under 14km! Harder under foot too, in many places.

1 Like

Any news on this race taking/not taking place recently?

We’ve had a few fell races take place locally which have had staggered starts, so things may be looking up for you.

I’ve heard nothing but had no racepack either.

The Organiser isn’t the best at ‘comms’ tbh. Here’s a FB post from two days ago, about an event on the same day (19 Sep) and yet no official announcement on the Fan Dance. Pretty sloppy ‘drills’ if you ask me, to use his parlance.

Old Faithful
Shropshire Hills
Selection training route of Fan Dance March Director
19th September
Standby for further detail…
Show must go on
Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

2 Likes

I’m losing patience with these guys. I’ve asked twice now via their contact form, when the athlete pack will be emailed. Absolutely zero response.

Ken is quite busy posting covid related conspiracy theories on his IG stories.

2 Likes

What is Ken Jones playing at. I have never known an RD to leak partial details on social media, before officially informing people who have actually paid to do the event via email. His communications strategy sucks; it’s as if he likes being the only one ‘in the know’. He mentions the 20th Sept event, but not what’s happening if you were down for the 19th.

Not impressed.

As it says on the website: In our artificial world of mortgages, smart phones and the incessant chatter of the voice in the head, there is an urgent need to return to the simple raw intensity of man against nature: the human will pit against an unapologetic and silent adversary of rock and earth.

why not just go and do it without the celebrity bit…???