The Sleep Thread

Went to bed a decent time. Was planning on getting up a 7,have breakfast, get the kids up, walk the dog, lift some weights, start work about 9 ish.

So far ive managed to get the kids up and gone back to bed.

Knackered. Just dont seem to be getting good sleep. Took me a while to get off to sleep then must have woken at least 5 times.

Ive tried Nytol, magnesium supplements, melatonin, lavender pillow spray. Nothing seems to be working.

3 Likes

Dark cherry juice might be worth a go?

1 Like

The magnesium supplements ive been taking already have Morntmorceny (sp?) Cherry extract in. Not sure if the juice is higher quantity though

2 Likes

Might be worth trying one of the Sleep Apps like Calm?

I was initially very dismissive of these, but for once in a while use (So you don’t get too used to it.) they seem helpful.

Alas I find that some nights, nothing short of a solid blow to the head would make me switch off.

1 Like

Nightnurse does the trick for me when I need a good night’s sleep. Obviously not if you’re taking paracetamol already though.

1 Like

Sorry to read about peoples’ sleep issues. :cry:

I’ve kept a vague track of mine since getting a fitbit - typically average a little under 7 hrs a night (voted 7-8 as no 6-7 option :fu: ).
I see a definite correlation between alcohol and poorer sleep, although that would be 6 hrs rather than 7 so nothing too dramatic. Alcohol has a tendency to push up my resting HR by a beat too (I’ve not done a statistical analysis so it’s observational).

I’m fortunate that, whilst I worry about things, I don’t get anxious very easily - I seem to be quite good at thinking through all the worst case scenarios and coming up with solutions or coping strategies. I often rage at my worries on the bike which I think helps too.
My wife suffers from anxiety and is just starting CBT after years of thinking about it (and me gently nudging her in that direction). She is learning that a lot of things that she wants to change in her life are rooted in anxiety, although in her case, sleep isn’t one of them.
Possibly worth thinking about though?

3 Likes

Yeah same as me for the alcohol thing. Tend to drink some wine on a Fri and Sat and my garmin will nearly always correlate this with a good few beats up on resting hr and sleep quality recorded as down.

Interested to know how the CBT goes, I keep trying to get the GF to try it.

I’m fairly similar to yourself, occasionally get wound up but if I go for a run or bike my problems usually go, at least for a few hours.

Few years back I had anxiety bad, really bad. Not sure my sleep was that impacted, but then I used to self medicate with wine a lot. I had counselling and CBT. CBT is good when the anxiety is generalised.

I wouldnt say Im cured, but I am about 95% better than I used to be.

I just cant shut my brain up. Last night I was trying to sleep, I had a song playing in my head, was thinking about something else, and also had different images flashing through my mind.

I think as suggested above I should try some of the apps to relax. Before bed last night I was working on something and was getting frustrated and going to bed without it resolved pissed me off.

On the alcohol thing I get to sleep faster but its not good sleep and there is more than a few bpm more on RHR the next day.

1 Like

Things might be very different if circumstances were more of a struggle.

I’ll update on the CBT but don’t expect this to be quick :slight_smile:
I’m a big fan of the approach, what I’m seeing now is the difference between a layman (such as myself) with the tools and an expert. This isn’t cheap but I suspect will turn out to be more cost effective

1 Like

CBT is the go to approach for the NHS. Its relative cheap and quick and doesnt involve the side effects of pills. My wife is a counsellor. She uses it occasionally although its not great for trauma and instances where there is a deep routed problem. It teaches you that way you think is wrong.

I would say out of everything I tried, normal counselling, Setraline, CBT. The CBT had the biggest impact and I would credit it as the thing that “cured” me. One of my worst anxiety habits was catastrophising. I could turn a problem at work into me being fired, losing my job, not getting another one, losing the house, getting divorced etc etc. I dont do any of that any more.

3 Likes

Exactly.

Without wishing to generalise or trivialise, I think I’ve learnt to cope with exactly this type of situation by running through scenarios and realising that the worst that can happen is very unlikely to be a catastrophe.
It no doubt helps that my experiences are that this has (mostly) worked - when I was in my 20s I would worry longer and harder.

3 Likes

Been tired and aching from a big weekend of training and the race yesterday. It really does affect your mood.

Need to concentrate more and bite my tongue when replying to things I’m not happy with or just seem wrong to me.

DOMS isn’t helping either :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Anyone a snorer (or have a partner that is)? Part of the reason for my sleep problems is im a snorer and that results in a kick and a telling off frequently. Which is a bit rich as she snores also but apparently I rival Godzilla.

I know job one is lose weight, and thats coming. Slower than I hoped but it is coming.

I have tried nasal strips which seem to improve things a bit. I do find it easier to breathe with them on. Downside is they are quite iritating.

Was considering a mouth guard but figure they are going to be really annoying.

Any other suggestions of things that have worked?

Dont anyone suggest ear plugs for my wife. Shes a massive feminist and this is my problem to sort, not hers :wink:

3 Likes

Didn’t seem to really be a better thread for reply rather than taking this down a mental health tangent, but one of my go-to explanations (and from my own experience) is that mental health disorders can often feel like a dark hole of despair with no way out.
Medication often can be a (/one of the most useful first) steps in providing a ladder out of that hole, especially for those at their lowest, but often only onto the first rung, just enough to start seeing that there is light somewhere out there in the world.

It’s all the other approaches such as CBT with its thought re-framing, techniques to challenge our negativity bias or anxious tenancies, counselling, social interaction, accomplishments, exercise, diet, sleep, that truly get us out of the darkness and facing into the sunshine keeping the shadows behind us.

8 Likes

I’ve been awake for ages, its 4.45 now. Bloody work!

2 Likes

I woke up at 4 … wide awake after 5 hours sleep, but I’ve just done 11 night shifts on the bounce.

I’ll have a huge ( 12 hour ) sleep in the next few days and be back on track.

Sleep is weird, we need a switch for our brains it seems

7 Likes

I need to change my mindset on sleep. I get up early every day, 0430-0500 usually. I see this as the only time that I have to train during the week. I get about an hour in, including stretching. Then it’s shower, get the dogs out and feed them. Breakfast for me, then a quick coffee with the wife before starting work.

We’ve got the six dogs and I don’t like the idea of finishing work and then training. Not fair on the wife if she’s looked after them all day. It’s normally dinner, dog walks and then TV for an hour or so. I suppose this would be an ideal time for something else, but again, not exactly fair on the wife.

Most nights in bed and sleeping before 10. As I get older, I feel I need a bit more sleep but when do I fit in exercise??

3 Likes

Don’t know the answer to your question but here’s a typical work day for me:

Wake up 7am
At work by 8am
Home 7pm
Exercise for 30-60 minutes
Food 8ish
Chill time
Maybe something in a blue tin
Always a bath
Bed before 10 usually

We don’t have 6 (six??) dogs to think about of course, and I’m not much into TV or early morning exercise, so guess that’s where the extra sleep comes from & 9 hours is the aim of the game here.

5 Likes

What kind of work do you do?

1 Like