The Sub 5 70.3 Thread

@Jgav have you uploaded the Cots course into BBS?
I’'ve tried searching, as i figured it must be in there, but it’s not coming up with any hits.
Can’t use my GPX as it’s wrong!! haha

It’s deffo in there, as I used it.

227W NP (estimated!!!) for 2:24 on the 88.5km course.

1 Like

I didn’t upload it. There’s about 6 of them.

Is it really that fast?

Yes. Although check my profile pic out for position that day.
I broke it three, maybe four times max.

Ah yes. I had a filter for ‘90km’ but they’ve got it as a single lap. Can’t seem to do anything with it though. Maybe because i’m not premium?

I’m not premium and got this. Think you can setup a single race if you’ve not paid.

Ah that’s it then. Mine was wasted on a zwift race last year! haha

My last sub 5 was the Yorkshireman in 2019, so about 2.5 years ago now! Rough splits were,

Swim - 36, this was in the River Ure, don’t recall there being much of a flow
T1 - 8 minutes, think IM Wales here, it was at least 800m uphill and they suggested you had trainers from the water to the tent
Bike - 2:34, AP230W this included nearly 600m of ascent but road surfaces weren’t too bad for the UK, think it was a reasonable day
T2 - a Garmin cockup says 6 seconds! It was probably under 2 minutes and either the bike or run is slightly out.
Run - 1:32 but there was a couple of bits on track\grass which slowed you down a bit and I’m fairly sure I wasn’t using Nike trainers!

Garmin Connect

Bike was about 1k short, run was about 300m short so a fairly accurate course especially with T1. Was certainly having a good day and felt strong on the run even though I was slowing in the second half.

At the time I was building towards IM Hamburg which was 6 weeks later. I’ll post back with some of the training I’d been doing later. But with any 70.3 I’d still say bike is the most important, if you are fit on the bike you shouldn’t have to ruin your legs before the run.

4 Likes

Something about the sound of sentence really doesn’t make me want to swim there :toilet:

Good result though :+1:

1 Like

Plus 1. Might even enter the 70.3 at Cairns instead, but something in me wants to do another full at some point.

Good to know it’s not just me. 260W for 2:27. I see everyone else’s power numbers and assume it means I’ll be quick, realising that’s not gonna be the case and unrealistic expectations.

1 Like

TTFT - me too. 300 np is round about 40 km/h so in that aero brick ballpark.

2 Likes

Exactly what I averaged for 3x10km flat circles last week at 290-300W, TT bike in what I think is a decent aero position, can’t see me changing it

2 Likes

Fricking hell!

I got 39.9kmh from 267W on our awful roads :rofl:

EDIT: the course was the Byley J2/9 back in May 2019. I’d ran a 17:58 5km at parkrun, went home, feet up and waited six hours for my start time (I missed the hour by 41s :sob:)

Looks like I was 85kg at this point in time.
I’m 185cm and didn’t have a disc wheel or a decent position for this one, it was about my twelfth ride on the TT bike.

I reckon… Probably devolves into a size/equipment q here.

How big are you? That was at 6’6 and about 220 lbs (reasons why I ran a 47 long off the bike…).

Equipment - trek speed concept, double Tri spokes, old giro TT helmet

Just find a course on BikeBestSplit and change the target time to reflect 34 and 36kph and see difference in power

I seem to have entered Challenge Salou on 3 April, then realised I have Zurich Marathon on 10 April.

I guess it will be good Ironman training, I will probably go reasonably hard in Salou, then see if I can do sub 3hr in Zurich a week later

4 Likes

Nice flat 40km course on very good roads on TT bike- 34kph 162w, 36kph 185w

2 Likes

I swam 38mins against the current in the Danube in 2017 but rode 2:17 at 208w NP and ran 1:45 for the HM where the temp was close to 40 degrees for 4:52.
I had spent a lot of time on the fit for the bike and now 4.5 years on I am now stronger by a 45w (260w FTP to 305W) on the bike and running faster than I was then.
If I pull my finger out and swim, a late 70.3 could be on the cards.

4 Likes

Lol @Matthew_Spooner

That’s a good test.

Did 70.3 Staffs/Full Outlaw a week apart last year, definitely below par at the Outlaw. No idea what a stand alone marathon would have been like.

2 Likes