Training - What Training?!

I went to a gym for the first time in, I dunno, a decade maybe.

We’ve got a winter membership at the local caravan park, mainly for the pool for the kids. But they’ve also got a tiny gym, sauna and steam room, so the Mrs has been popping over weekly. I’ve done bugger all for the last month and a half, literally nothing in the last 10 days and am just low on mojo. Had a diary gap so said I’d join her.

5km on the treadmill to start. Staying in my comfort zone. Then had a first ever go on a ski erg. There was a 500m competition on the board. Thought I’d go full bore see what happened. As expected, I lasted about 30 secs! :joy:. Had a 20 sec rest then cruised it in and still wasn’t last - phew :joy:

Did some moves. Had a 1km row. And that was that. Then did 15 mins in the sauna with a cold shower either side. Job done.

15 Likes

as you have found, if you’ve no experience of a ski-erg the it will hurt quickly. and much like the C2 rower, technique will make a big difference.

we have both at home - I find the skier a more aerobic workout than the rower

ETA: Mrs FB did a set on the skier this morning - 12 x 250m with 45 rest between each. I came home from walking the dog to be greeted by a sweaty mess of a woman!

3 Likes

I’m so disappointed in you :joy:

6 Likes

My hamstrings are in bits as a result! :joy:

I’m absolutely weak as piss as well.

4 Likes

:joy: :joy:

The Mrs has wanted a treadmill for ages (doesn’t like running outside from a safety/letchy guys perspective), but we simply don’t have anywhere to put one. And I’ve always hated them.

But I’m getting soft in my old age, as I could actually see myself using it if we had somewhere to put it! Mainly linked, I think, to my overall apathy I’m currently experiencing.

4 Likes

That’s purely down to technique! It also helps if you’ve done some XC skiing so have the basics in place - we have done a fair bit although not for a long time now. We used it as winter training for tri as it helps develop a great aerobic base.

3 Likes

Oh i have no doubt. But i was doing that thing where you only have an hour, so i was just mucking about for 5 mins on different stuff! haha.

I did say i need to come up with a bit of a plan next time, and try to make the most of the 60 mins. Think our membership goes until end of Feb. So i could, theoretically, get a bit of strength work in before dialling up the tri specific stuff.

4 Likes

Just watched a video with Joe skipper ( he’s not really my friend)
Says he fatigued his arms so much on the ski erg that the sled pull was just “ awful”

Several techniques, with or without legs basically.

Possibly even worse than the concept 2 rower for pain and gasping for breathnesss !

Gets you fit if nowt else

7 Likes

Good work, I think the other essential part of going to the gym is taking a pic in the changing room :muscle:

3 Likes

whilst blow drying your pubes…

4 Likes

It’s fun

1 Like

Good work @gingerbongo!

I was in the gym myself again this morning. Third time in four days.

3.5k row on the C2.
3 sets each of calf raises, military presses, bicep curls and sit ups.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t go that far! :joy:

Sounds like a great plan, I just hope you can fit it around your yoga :+1:

:joy:

That starts in Jan doesn’t it, with a new Adrienne 30 day thing!

2 Likes

Determined to make it past day 17 this year :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

11km easy run, 103.27 at 5.46 pace.

I was going longer but cut it short thinking I’d go to Cornwall tomorrow, then Mrs FP said ‘oh, LO has her piano recital tomorrow afternoon’ DOH! :man_facepalming:

Lousy kids :wink:

10 Likes

5.9km run this morning. First one in two weeks.
25 minutes. 77m elevation.

I will swim tonight!

11 Likes

40 minute run.

Legs still not :100: and hip tightness but started to loosen up near end. Will adopt little and often philosophy until firing on all cylinders again

Had to rush in to town anyway to get a barrow load of staples before closing

9 Likes

Reintroduced my self to the gym treadmill as it’s dark, freezing, icy and snowy outside. Chose intervals to break things up. Think I might risk the great outdoors again. Far more fun.

11 Likes