Training - What Training?!

6km easy run, 32.41 at 5.26 pace.

Lovely weather for running but the wind is meant to pick up later.

6 Likes

warmed up and snow and ice gone. 14k run.

6 Likes

Fizzled out a bit last week with no runs on Friday or Sunday to finish with 44km running in 4 hours 1 min, 305m elevation.

Ironically it was probably the running club Christmas/awards do on Friday which didn’t help!

This week we’re going to Lapland Tuesday to Thursday, so it’s not going to be a big training week.

7 Likes

7.2km morning run.

31 minutes. 90m elevation.

6 Likes

I’ve done naff all for weeks now :sob:
Pretty certain I haven’t had that thing that doesn’t exist :roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Breathing is laboured, had a cough for four weeks, been sleeping for 9+ hours :exploding_head:

Might walk a few parkruns with the dogs for my 50 by Christmas Day. I need three and that’s be my milestone :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Sounds similar to my last few weeks too.

I have had absolutely zero desire to exercise for weeks (apart from my trip).

3 Likes

6km easy again today, dodged the rain!

32.47 at 5.26 pace

5 Likes

Is there anywhere safe to run at night near Holloway Road?

Apart from, to the tube station.

2 Likes

I don’t know the area, but London parks tend to be locked after dark, so you’d probably end up running the streets :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

My recollection is its a bit rough round there. Father in Law had a flat in Islington he stayed in during the week, we used it at the weekend occasionally. Getting off at Angel and the area was quite nice, one night we got off at High and I, end of Holloway Road and the tube station was full of police, with dogs and there were metal detectors and it felt really edgy

Be prepared for some improtu interval training if some scallies try to stab you

3 Likes

45 minute spin class. Legs running on empty.

6 Likes

Couldn’t find any body armour so it’s a recovery day.

4 Likes

Pint at The World’s End?

3 Likes

Did a sub max & max VO2 max test yesterday on the bike at Loughborough uni.

The sub max started at 100w & increased 20w every 2 minutes with blood lactate taken every minute. 240w was the last block as it had reached ā€˜hard’ and definitely past LT2.

The max test started at 160w (maybe LT2?) & went up 10w every 30s, made it to 310w then the lactate build up in the sound leg was just too much.

I get a report in a week or so, see whet they say…

19 Likes

How do you tire @Doka ? Does your good leg give out before the prosthetic, or is your other hip doing more work and tire more quickly? Is running different to cycling?

3 Likes

Power balance is like 70/30 on the bike & the stump doesn’t feel like it tires much but has limited power. In normal riding I try to recruit the stump/prosthetic as much as possible as I think the biggest gains are there. When it gets tough, hill or whatever I have to push on with the sound leg & for really hard efforts I’m not sure if I’m able to to get the maximum out of the stump at the same time. I can blow the sound leg pretty quickly if I’m forced.

On long hilly rides with club mates I’ve learned that I can climb better than some others early on in the ride but once the sound leg has fatigued I go backwards so I need to pace myself & meter hard efforts.

That was evident on the VO2 max test too, I didn’t feel anaerobically limited but had just too much lactate in the leg & frustratingly felt well recovered just a few seconds after the test, quite different to when I’ve done a VO2 max test on a treadmill many years ago.

Running is a bit different, I can feel the stump tiring pretty quickly and most of the work is to recruit other muscles & have a form that limits the effort on the stump, it’s just so much tougher than cycling. Probably once fatigue sets in, form & efficiency goes to pot. You can cycle pretty well one legged if you wanted too but there’s no running on one leg.

17 Likes

9km easy run. 48.24 at 5.22 pace

9 Likes

I did a running VO2 Max test at Bath Uni last week. I have the results and will post some things up in the next few days if anyone is interested!

17 Likes

Longest run for some time today. When i took on IMW it was a base of get to NY with a 10k / 1hr+ run , and at least 2hrs bike. Done both this week.
Today did 11k run (still walk hills and theres a couple per 2.2k lap) 1hr20 so far from fast but i got to 9k still happy and not an ache or wheeze.
Downside my plantar has been unhappy again recently but thats after I stop or early morning so just got to keep on top of the calf stretching.

14 Likes

7.2km lumpy run first thing.

31 minutes. 96m elevation.

10 Likes