Training - What Training?!

Slowly building back up with 12 hours last week

13.6km of swimming - mix of intervals, paddles and steady swim
4 turbo sessions - one set of short HIIT, 3 steady Zwifts
4 runs - one set of treadmill intervals, one Parkrun as the 21:00 pacer, 2 steady

Swim this morning

10 x 200m off 3:30
10 x 100m off 2:00
5 x 200m P&P off 3:30

10 Likes

Managed to get back to a club swim session yesterday:

200m FC, 100m FC kick, 200m FC pull, 100m IM, 200m FC;
10 x 50m kick w/fins as 25m FC/25m BC;
4 x 100m BC drill;
3 x 100m BC pull;
200m BC;
8 x 50 sprints as alt FC/BC;
400m cool down

Hoping to go again (different club) tonight.

7 Likes

9.5 hours
Bit of a taper
2 x multi station efforts
One hour bike
Core, stretch blah blah.

7 Likes

Gym this morning, still not quite right.

3.5k row.
Then lots of glute and calf strengthening and activation.

6 Likes

8h for me last week. Had a couple of days off and several easy days. Glad I can now manage 8hrs on an easy week

5 Likes

I’ve done something on 6 of the last 7 days now. Happy with that!

Now i’m finding some routine, i’m going to slow the slows and (start to) fast the fasts. Head out for an easy hour today, nice and relaxed, but sought out a few small hills. Ended up with 11.5km and 286m elevation.

Also, I’m starting Project Little Things. I know how important S&C etc is, but i’m still failing to get motivated to do it. Rather than just giving up and accepting it, i’m going to apply the bitesize logic to see if it helps. It’s not going to majorly shift things, but i’m hoping it has some positive effect, and may even spur on other things.

This week (started yesterday) i’ve committed to doing a 60sec plank every morning. Then, if i hit that, go to 90secs or 2 x 60 or something next week etc. When my coffee is brewing or i’m cooking, i’m doing some single leg squat/lunge variations to work on the glutes. No structure, just do it when i can. Similarly doing 60sec of standing on one leg with eyes closed when in the kitchen waiting for stuff. When listening to the kids read, do it in pigeon pose (or similar) rather than slouching on the floor. Again, when they’re doing their teeth, just do a few heel/calf raises on the stairs next to the bathroom.

That’s the plan anyway. Hopefully it helps, even if only in a tiny way.

13 Likes

I like to brush my teeth standing on one leg, it adds a bit of core/balance in. Maybe add a few calf raises.

7 Likes

I don’t normally go to the gym on a Monday as my strength training days are T,W,Th,Sa,Su; but thought I’d pop down at lunchtime to do a bit of cardio for a change.
5mins on Elliptical, Bike, Ski Erg & Treadmill with sets of Roman Chair, Crunch machine and Lower Back Machine between the cardio.
Never tried a Ski Erg before (and don’t know the first thing about skiing) so found that quite hard going then after the normal treadmill decided to give the curved Woodway style one a bash which are quite frankly f*cking lethal :scream:

6 Likes

I alternate which hand I brush with and standing on opposite legs, but doing it whilst also shutting eyes, maybe I need to aim for that, although don’t really want punctured gob :joy:

5 Likes

Those moments in the shower when you’re stood on one foot I try to actually balance on that one foot without leaning/ bouncing off the wall.

#marginalgains

8 Likes

I do kitchen strength sessions as well :muscle: Also situps/planks waiting for the kids to do something :joy:

Club swim tonight, I’ve been trying to get coach to let us do 40x100 off 1:30. He said we had to build up to it each week. Tonight’s set was 600 warmup into 20x100, but he tagged on another 10, and then cut the time to 1:25 for the last 5. Felt pretty good, think I held 1:17s throughout, last night one 1:15. 300m cool down for 3.9k. Enjoying club swim at the moment, lad in front is quicker and he’s always up for more when I suggest it!

11 Likes

Managed two club swims in a row:

300m as 25m BC/50m FC, 200m FC drills, 100m FC kick;
10 x 50m FC on 65/60/55;
10 x 100m FC on 1:55 (every third rep as BC on 2:15);
5 x 200m FC paddle pull on 3:50;
3 x 100m FC on 1:55 (third rep as BC on 2:15);
3 x 50m FC on 65/60/55;
250m cool down

Hopefully on a bit of a roll now!

12 Likes

Ran again today, felt ok. Bit wheezy but definitely on the up. Game back on.

10 Likes

80 mins on Zwift last night

Treadmill intervals this morning

8 x 2:00 2% at 10mph
4 x 1:00 3% at 10mph

Still trying to find the sweet spot where I can get my HR over 150bpm but where my legs don’t die first

9 Likes

7.8km run this morning.

34:35. 104m elevation.

8 Likes

Went for a swim but cut it a bit short as there was one guy who was a human tidal wave, the pool was busier than usual and quite a few in the main area but all actually trying to swim for a change. Then some guy tries to get in next to me who couldn’t swim in a straight line and I genuinely thought he was going to have a head first into me. I stood at the end of the lane and watched him move across then he stood up shocked in front of me!

Also decided to have 5K on the dreadmill, a couple of days earlier than planned but I couldn’t face the garage again and was a bit wound up from work :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

CTL up over 21 from 12 at the start of the year.

5 Likes

This is why you don’t swim :joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

There may be other reasons :shark:

2 Likes

Running 21 days in a row recently seems to have taken it out of me a bit.

Tried to hold 5km at target half marathon pace of 4m15s this morning, had to walk after 3km. Same a couple of days ago. I’m OK for a couple of km then whoomphf.

2 weeks to go… hope a bit of form appears before then. :crossed_fingers:t2:

9 Likes