Virtual Zwift Rides

ah fair enough … i’m not sure. Just know they’re a low cost option if you can be majority web based

Apple TV (4K) is the simplest solution for Zwift. Realise that a laptop is more versatile but Apple TV is like always on Zwift no startup, updates or windows tomfoolery.

3 Likes

Nope, power meter ant+ only! I’ve got it setup on my laptop now, so will probably give it a whirl later and see how it goes. It seems the 7 days trial I signed up for months ago doesnt actually activate until you take your first pedal stroke, so I still have that. And as I’m saving £6 a day in commuting costs, a monthly subscription on top of my trainerroad fees is hardly a big deal for a bit of variety

If I had a dedicated pain cave, that wouldn’t be a bad shout. If we move we will have a spare tv for those purposes, but as it is I’m in the hallway with a pedestal I can stick a laptop/tablet/phone on

Another option that i’ve used, if you’ve got a tablet, is the cheaper, older Apple TV unit that allows you to extend your tablet display to a TV via HDMI. I think I paid about £40 for mine, but makes it really easy.

I did consider buying a reconditioned solid-state HD convertible ‘laptop’ as it would be fast start-up. Anyone else do this? My phone is far too small for events/racing.

Do a 3R group ride or similar to get a feel for the benefit of Zwift. I usually do the 3w/kg ride on Wednesdays at 5:45 for example. Easiest way is to download the companion app on your phone, go to events and click the + for going. You will then get a join ride option in the bottom left of Zwift.

The 5:45 event is tough but manageable but you need to take care to stay in the group for the draft.

1 Like

I’ve found some of the groups rides go a bit bananas on the climbs so that even if holding 3W/kg is easy you need to be pretty comfortable putting out 5W/kg for the climb before settling back into a steady 3. Otherwise you’re blown out the back of the group by the top and left soloing (much much slower).

Right, so it works. Bit of a fail not plugging my laptop in. Thought it’d be fine for an hour. Clearly the graphics rinse the battery! Tried to run and grab it, but once you’ve lost the group you’re screwed.

Would be up for something on Friday if anyone can point to a race they’re doing to cut my teeth in. Plan to do my scheduled workout tomorrow. 2x30…:face_vomiting:

On a related note I’ve just seen that Road Grand Tours (RGT) Cycling have made their rides free again.

Events can be found at

Or
https://www.zwiftpower.com/

Try to sign up to Zwiftpower and get it connected. That’s where race results go.

anyone up for tomorrow?

We use these things, they boot pretty instantly, full windows, rugged for when you drop them, easy to fix, plenty powerful enough for zwift.

https://www.tier1online.com/728-2324a39-b/thinkpad-x230-i5-3320m-grade-b-webcam-12-5

The tier1 folk are good too.

I’m jumping on about 9.30 if anyone interested?

Some of us are still at work, for now :frowning::joy:

1 Like

Technically so am I until March 31st, but you can see how that’s working out. :+1:

2 Likes

I think I’d rather be at work than all your DIY, if I get sent home I’ll have to say no DIY as I don’t want to risk injuring myself and being a burden on the NHS :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m racing again at 13:11 stage 3 of whatever.

I won’t keep this racing up everyday though :sweat_smile:

Far more likely we see an massive influx of DIY injuries than a massive influx of people falling of their bikes.

:+1:

1 Like

That was intense. 17.6km 270w. Spin the legs, then a jog.

1 Like