Weekend Warrior - Blenheim

On my radar for many years. I told you I am from Kent. 14.08.21 in the diary

2 Likes

Agreed. Thats great value and why I was hoping there was an outside chance of a few more slots for that. I’d have loved to do it, as its pretty kuch an Ironman, yet a very different type of challenge

3 Likes

Communication from Live to Tri hasn’t been great (I do understand) but it has been confirmed that WW is going ahead and we are still allowed an assistant in transition. Every participant is allowed one spectator (our assistant is that spectator). No children or dogs. I guess the Warriors must be giving them a headache, and I didn’t expect them to open up any more slots. Possibly not the best year to be doing it.

Event info email just come out, 8:10 start, wave 2 Saturday and Sunday. 104 Warriors.
Looks like last wave is 16:50 on Saturday and 15:10 on Sunday.
Last year we started at 9:20 on Saturday and 10:30 on Sunday…more chance to pack 'em in this year :slight_smile:

1 Like

Possibly the chance for a speedster to equal (or break) the record. Looking forward to it.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Getting close and am actually starting to think we may get to do some racing this season

with the Sunday window being curtailed last year (and poss the year before I forget) it was only practically possible for someone half decent to do a maximum of 7 Sprints i.e. 4 on Sat and 3 on Sun. Before that you could practically do 4 on the Sun too for a total of 8. Disclaimer - unless your a brownlee type and kill yourself and squeeze 5 in on Saturday :astonished: but only one lad has managed to do (fairplay!), plus Adrian Fowler also managed it previously the time he was a bit racy :wink: at the sw1m starts :smile:
Crackin event, nowt like it. And wow what a venue!!

It’s quite funny being whooped by 10-15 mins by the younger faster flyboys on the first few Sprints on Saturday, but then watching them wilt and overcook it, as they haven’t got their head round the best (unique to this event format) strategy to maximise their placing. So much that by the end of Sunday I’ve plodded back ahead of plenty of them :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for that insight. The more I think about it - although the days are longer this year and there are fewer competitors, it is a complete unknown as to how long we’ll have to queue to be pulsed into the water, etc. Time will tell!

With the BTF permit signed off yesterday it really does look as if the event will go ahead this weekend. Time to dust off the trisuit. Weather was looking iffy but has improved, especially on Sunday.

And now the main sponsor and charity partner Blood Cancer UK has pulled out this morning…

Where did you hear about Blood Cancer UK pulling out? That’s a bit last minute.com

@Toyota_Crown I was one of those who overcooked it on the first few. Lesson learned(the hard way)

1 Like

No chance of me overcooking it :rofl:

Email received this morning. Check your spam?

1 Like

Hmm, weird, haven’t got that yet. Checked me SPAM too. Nothing that effects this weekends event though??

Shouldn’t affect the racing. Essentially, the charity says that people with blood cancer are at high risk with coronavirus, and it feels that it cannot sponsor a mass participation event.

There will be no charity marquee, but I guess it will be too late to withdraw some of the branded items. Anyone who has raised sponsorship - the money is safe and will go to the charity.

2 Likes

Given the new Covid social restrictions, although organised team sports are exempt, I wonder if we’ve just snuck in with having Blenheim this weekend…

1 Like

I wonder. Although we haven’t got there yet. :eyes:

1 Like

Hope you get your event! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Well… it went ahead, and what a great event it is. Stunning venue, brilliant organisation and volunteers.

I managed 4 sprints yesterday. Happy with that. It’s a tough format. Unfortunately I couldn’t race today because I’m taking my son back to university.

A bit gutted about that because the record of 9 sprints over the weekend is going to be broken!! Several guys managed 6 yesterday, and 4 is possible today. (Shorter hours on Sunday.)

Might even be someone on this forum…

2 Likes

Yes. My strava feed was full of @SidSnot yesterday!

1 Like

He is definitely a contender. How many will do 10 and who will do it in the fastest time? Wish I was there - phenomenal !! :fire:

Sorry to hear your couldn’t make the 2nd day @Amanda
Happy to say I got 11 Sprints over the weekend. 4 was always do able today, provided no disasters. 5 was going to be close as the last Sprint we could do was 14:10 and as per my spreadsheet (nerd) my timings would have me starting my possible 5th at 14:10. I stuck with the pace /plan that worked Saturday and had a few quicker between tri transitions to get a few minutes. GOt back to swim start at 14:00 for number 11 and the pressure was off
Sorry @Adam for the Strava spam :joy:
Had my first ever post race interview too, excuse the dribble https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=3489084044444950&id=122892844397437

6 Likes

Absolutely no problem :wink:

You’ve had a blinding two days :facepunch:t2: