What bike? Everyone has a bike opinion, give us your best. I need a new one

Out of interest, why steel?

I’m only asking as I’ve never owned a steel bike before.

1 Like

wanted the softness and less harsh ride for bike packing, plus the repairability.

2 Likes

Cheaper than Ti?
Or another reason for steel over Ti?

That sounds more like carbon!

nah… steel frame are much more forgiving and less harsh than carbon.

Nah, that depends how it’s built, you can’t simply say one material is always better, certainly my RS is way more forgiving than any steel I’ve ever ridden.

Steel is naturally springy, that is until you go very high end. Aluminium has to be very well made and formed to give a real smooth ride. Carbon has to be laid up with fibres in the right direction, good design and minimal resin. Then you get the best out of it. It’s easy to make a shite frame out of them all, harder to make a great frame. But it’s the wheels that let the frame quality shine through.

Ah interesting thread… I’m trying to spec / justify a new gravel bike for a specific event just now but a bit half heartedly as the bike is just a tool and maybe a relatively small contributor to the result :smiley:

Current bike is weighing in at 11kg or so for ti+carbon forks built up with mudgaurds, rack & cages.
Frame I thought was relatively heavy, quotes as 2.3kg with forks, headset & seat clamp (not sure how much to allow for those).
Hard to get good weight info on some frames anyway, steel & alu don’t seem to offer much advantage there but alot of mid range carbon still seems to come to 1.8kg or so just frame & fork… so now I’m nit picking over half a bottle of water ?

Only other consideration is thru axles (barely known when i bought this one) feel more a secure solution & tyre clearance (probably need to move to 40-45mm).

I hear mixed reports about through axles on gravel bikes. They are definitely in vogue, but depending what report you read, don’t make any discernable difference to rigidity or feel. I think they are here to stay as thats the way the market has gone. But never say never as I see English threaded BB are coming back bit by bit. We will be riding 19mm tyres again soon.

I’ve been lusting after one of these and would seem to fit your requirements.

Mrs W bought their step through bike on the C2W scheme and the frames are built beautifully.

1 Like

Transition Ted loved his Windy Milla & they are mint looking.

I very nearly bought one of those instead of the CGR, but was put off by the restricted max tyre size on the frame. They do look fantastic though.

I’m more worried about how easily my QRs get a little loose.

Never had a QR come loose, even after racing XC and CX since the 90’s. Lawyers lips on the front fork stop the wheel falling out if they do.

I promised myself a new bike when I got a promotion. Well as it’s happened, I’ve started internet window shopping and making a short list, problem is that I really don’t know what I want. I also don’t think I’ll be allowed to spend as much as some of these bikes cost. More than happy with finding something second hand though lack of transferrable warranty does make that more risky.

I’ve currently got an old Giant TCR advanced with 105 which I will sell. My other bike is a Dolan Scala TT. Pretty much only race on the TT now and the roadie is used for rides with mates or the turbo. Roads round my way are shite. Thinking a CGR style all road bike would be a good way to go.

Do I spend the extra for Di2? It’s nice on the TT but not convinced it’s necessary on a road bike.
Want disc brakes as that’s the way the industry is going and might as well future proof now.

Short list

Looked at Cycle Exchange and you can pickup some decent stuff there

Yes rim brake but cheap for a 6.5kg bike!

1 Like

Never anything on cycle exchange that was my size….so whilst sizing up Mrs eJC for a new Cannondale….I got a bit excited and bought a Basso di2

My SuperSix Evo has Ultegra Di2,really nice action and basically fit and forget; I charge the battery twice a year.

I think if I was doing it again I would be looking at SRAM wireless - even less faff.

Not sure on a gravel bike though, the components are really pricey to replace individually if something breaks.

I wish I’d have bought a CGR Ti with two/three wheel sets instead of my BMC and Ribble.
A club mate barely rides his S-Works since getting his, they really are that versatile.
650b for the monster stuff.
42mm for normal gravel.
28-30mm and guards for winter.
Then 28mm tubeless for summer.

Honestly, what more do you want?

If you are going to use it off road on gravel etc. I’d possibly avoid Di2. It’s great stuff but I’d be worried that something could pop up or you get stuck and damage the mech etc. and they are something like £200 at least for a new one.

Maybe try and get better wheels with the money?

As I said elsewhere, have a look at Enigma, they sometimes have sale bikes as well, and mine is an all-rounder like you want, I just haven’t used it much but that’s me being a wimp :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I built up an Ultegra Canyon Endurace CF SL Disc 8.0 as a furlough/gardening project last year and I love it. Good weight and responsive

2 Likes